Old UX - Update parent selection based on child selection

hgrosen
Contributor

Old UX - Update parent selection based on child selection

Been searching the forum but cannot find a good answer to this challenge.

In the old UX, we have dashboards with e.g. two modules where one applies Level 2 (e.g. department) of a hierarchy as a dimension whereas the other applies Level 3 (e.g. employee) of the same hierarchy as a dimension. What we want to achieve is that when we change the Level 3 selection, the two modules should update so that they show the selected Level 3 item, and the corresponding Level 2 parent item. The synchronized paging works fine when all modules and graphs are on the same hierarchy level but we cannot find a simple way to update the Level 2 based module based on the Level 3 selection.
We can of course create a boolean in filter module with Level 3 items, update the parent based on this, and apply result as filter for both modules in the dashboard but better if we could just sync both by clicking on the Level 3 item.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHeathcote
Community Boss

Re: Old UX - Update parent selection based on child selection

@hgrosen 

Synchronisation operates with page selectors and will update whenever a list item displayed in a separate grid containing a linked hierarchy is selected. 

ChrisHeathcote_0-1610536336492.png

If the dimension is a row or column in the grid you will need to use a filter to display the required list items for both modules. 

With a filter you will need to create a filter module for both grids and a selector in the form of a pick list formatted line item. Apply these filters to both modules.

ChrisHeathcote_1-1610536811989.png

In my example I have assumed that the Level 2 module contains data which has different dimensions and can not be added to the Level 3 module and displayed as the sum of Level 2.  

Good luck, Chris 

Chris Heathcote
Bedford Consulting

Gold Partner and Regional Partner of the Year 2021, EMEA

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisHeathcote
Community Boss

@hgrosen 

Synchronisation operates with page selectors and will update whenever a list item displayed in a separate grid containing a linked hierarchy is selected. 

ChrisHeathcote_0-1610536336492.png

If the dimension is a row or column in the grid you will need to use a filter to display the required list items for both modules. 

With a filter you will need to create a filter module for both grids and a selector in the form of a pick list formatted line item. Apply these filters to both modules.

ChrisHeathcote_1-1610536811989.png

In my example I have assumed that the Level 2 module contains data which has different dimensions and can not be added to the Level 3 module and displayed as the sum of Level 2.  

Good luck, Chris 

Chris Heathcote
Bedford Consulting

View solution in original post

hgrosen
Contributor

@ChrisHeathcote 

The page filter sync will not work for both levels simultaneously when selecting a level 3 item so will play a bit more with the filter module approach as you suggested.

Thanks Chris!

ChrisHeathcote
Community Boss

@hgrosen 

As I say the synch will only work for page/context selectors.

If you select an item from the page/context selector the module dimensioned by the lower lever will not automatically sort to show items with that parent.

Your only option if you would like level 2 and level 3 to update is to filter on the level three list.

Chris Heathcote
Bedford Consulting