Only summarise at lower levels of hierarchy

Hi all,

I have a model with the three lists; Cities_L3 which rolls-up to Countries_L2 which rolls-up to Markets_L1.

In module I am calculating amounts at the city level using FX rates which are different depending on the parent Country.

Is there a way I could summarise the cities to show a sub-total at Country level, but not sum all the way to Markets (as one Market could contain Countries which use different FX rates so the data wouldn't be useful at that level?

Thanks,

Answers

• Hi Ceri, 

One simple solution would be:

To create a new module with a new line item and dimension it by the L2 list. 

Then make the formula the original line item which is calculating at L3 with summary method sum.

This would then sum up the city level 3 values to country level 2.

You could also do this in the original module but it would create a subsidary view which may not be the best way to view the data. 

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

Usman

• @CommunityMember83188 

The alternative to @usman.zia 's post is to calculate the converted amounts in a module by Cities_L3.

You should have a system module at the L3 level in which you hold the mappings for L2 Countries and L1 Markets

So in the L3 module you can use LOOKUP to pull in the FX rate for the respective Country

Then in the final Module by L1, you use a SUM on the L1 mapping to aggregate the converted data

Oh, and by the way, our best practice naming convention would be L3_Cities, L2_Countries and L1_Markets

i hope this helps

David

• Thank you both - I suspected I would have to do something like this but as I have dashboards looking at this line item, and the user can choose the level they're viewing using the L3 list as a page selector, I was hoping there was a way I could control what levels were being sum'd.  For now I can just disable the summary from the line item (better to show nothing that something that's wrong)

• something to know as well, it is possible to detect the level of a composite hierarchy and thus you could set a specific level to 0.
    not that I recommend it here, just giving the art of possibles
  • one more idea (not best practice, but easy way) is changing formula for:

IF (parent(parent(item(Cities_L3)))= TOP level item of Markets_L1 THEN 0 ELSE your formula

• Thanks @nathan_rudman, I don't think I was aware of this. For purely educational purposes, how is this done?