Plannable List combinations

Hi Team – I want to understand how we can create a combination of lists and restrict the planning across only those combinations. Please go through below as an example case:

Let’s presume we have two lists: Product and Location.

• The product has 4 list items P1 to P4.
  • The location has 2 list items L1 and L2.
  • P1 and P2 are associated only with L1.
  • P3 and P4 are associated only with L2.

I am thinking of creating a compound list as Product_Location which has the values as P1_L1, P2_L1, P3_L2, and P4_L2. This will be a numbered list.

My question is: how do I associate this compound list with the individual list items so the planning is restricted only at the relevant combinations. As an example, how does the value of P1_L1 refer to the value P1 from Product and value L1 from the location? This question also means that the user shouldn’t be able to select L2 as the list item for Location when he chooses either P1 or P2 for the 'Product' list in the page selector.

Thanks for all the support,

Regards,

Guru

Tagged:

Best Answer

• prabhu
    Answer ✓

Hi @GuruAP,

Step 1:

You can create some List

1. Location List

2. Product List

They are not parent Child

3. # Location_Parent list (Numbered List)

4. Input List (non numbered List, List item - 1,2,3,4.....10) - Purpose is to let business users to enter the inputs.

5. # Product List(Numbered List, with Parent as Location List) - Purpose is Product P1 can be sold in Location L1 and Location L2, so Duplicate list item can't be created in non numbered List.

Step 2:

1. Create a module(A), which let the business user to input the data

input List as a dimension

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

2. Create a import action: import from Product_Location(above Screen shot) to # Location_Parent list (Numbered List)

Capture2.JPG

3. Create a new Module(B), which we will be performing actual calculation.

(# Location and Product List as Dimension)Capture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

Here i created a unique Product code for all Products, which the business users had given as input. you can get Product code from business team.

The purpose of creating unique code is to populate this data into # Product List(Numbered List, with Parent as Location List)

4. Importing the unique code into # Product List(Numbered List, with Parent as Location List)

Capture5.JPGCapture6.JPG

5. Create a blank module (input List as Dimension) and Blank as Line item(no Data Format) - Purpose of this Line item is to make blank values, which the business user has entered in Module (A)

Create a import action from Blank module to Module (A)

Capture7.JPGCapture8.JPG

You can put all 3 actions into 1 process

and you can use dependent drop down as explained in previous post- to make it easier for business user.

Hope i made sense.

Thanks,

SORNA RAJA PRABHU

Answers

• Hi @GuruAP 

1. You have a Location List L1(Parent) List Items are - L1, L2

2. You have a Product List L2(Child) List items are P1, P2 are child of L1 and P3, P4 are child of L2

3. You have Compound List Location_ProductCapture3.JPG 

4. Create a new Module 4 Line Items(Product(Product L2 Format),

Location(Location L1 Format),

Product Drop down(Product L2 Format),

Location Dropdown(Location L1 Format)) and

Location_Product as Dimension

Capture8.JPG

5. Formula to Retrieve Product and Location from Location_Product Dimension are as follows

Right() - Gets the Right 'n' number of characters - eg: Right("Hello", 3) -> ll0

Left() - Gets the Left 'n' number of Characters - eg: Left("Hello", 3) -> Hel

Capture9.JPG

6. To Make the Condition based on the parent, child has to be selected then check the Boolean(Dependent) TRUE

in our case Product are dependent on Location

Capture10.JPG

7. From the Child to retrieve the Parent we have to use Parent() of Function

Hope it Helps,

Thanks,

Sorna Raja Prabhu

• Hi Prabhu - the compound list can't be identified as a parent-child relationship. That's because the combination might be that the product P3 is not served just at location L2 but also maybe at L1. The example I originally took is, in fact, a simple case but that's not exactly what I meant. The scenario I have is not just the combination of two flat lists Product and Locations. It has in fact 4 different flat lists. But all combinations of list values are not relevant. So, I need to restrict the planning to specific combinations (which I shall get to know). But how do I model that from planning point of view?

Hope I am making sense,

Thanks,

Regards - Guru