Retrieve dimension as line item

Hi,

I need to retrieve the selected dimension as a line item. For example, imagine I have a list with three items, Scenario 1, Scenario 2 and Scenario 3. What I need is some kind of function so that I can return the selected dimension, for example Scenario 1 in a line item.

Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot!

Best Answer

Answers

• @fredrickstraube 

the function is called ITEM

https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/Calculation_Functions/All/ITEM.html

Be aware though, that this will only need the dimension itself, so if you are needing to return the code, or name or checking for a specific item, DO NOT do this calculation in a multi-dimensional module.  Do it in a module dimensioned purely by the list referred to in the ITEM(List) formula and then point subsequent line items to that; much more efficient for calculations

Also, try and avoid IF ITEM() =.  Use boolean logic instead, this is more flexible

I hope this helps

David

• Hi David,

Thanks a lot, this is what I needed!

Another question: I now have two modules, looking like the pictures below:

1.1.PNG

No dimensions, just 2 line items formatted as List and Time Period - Month

1.2.PNG

Two dimensions, Time and The same list as the "From"-line item in the picture above

What I ultimately want to do is to get the boolean checked if the month is selected in the "From Date" line item in the first picture, but I can't get that formula to work, since I cannot do a lookup on time. What I tried was something like IF owner=From [LOOKUP:From date] THEN TRUE ELSE FALSE

Do you have any suggestions on how to approach this issue? Thanks!

• @DavidSmith,

This is EXACTLY what I needed, many thanks!

/Fredrick

• Excellent

Glad to help

David