Rolling Allocation Problem

Hello Gurus,

We have an allocation problem. We have Shortages(Demand) and Supply by month. We have to allocate the oldest supply to the demand ie FIFO. Also, there is an expiry period for the supply, beyond which it cannot be allocated. The same is illustrated in this example, you may note there is a 1-many, many-1 and many-many linkages. I have represented the allocations in another table on the right using source and destination months. The supply 100 on Mar cannot be allocated to Demand in Jul as it violates the expiry period, so it will remain unallocated.

ArunManickam_0-1616128830653.png

This is just an example, supply and demand could happen on any month.

Any intresting ideas to solve this in anaplan model ? 

Thanks

Arun

Tagged:

Answers

• @ArunManickam 

I have one idea but may not be that efficient. Depending on how far out your willing to look, can you denormalize the months, i.e. make a line item for each unelapsed month, then you can either carryforward the missed demand to the first month that is outside the expiry month and begin allocation. From there, you can POST it back to the right month? Just a crazy notion. I'll play around with it but was thinking it might be easier to bring everything to the present date first rather than going back and forth through time.

• @JaredDolich ,

Thank you. Yeah, it is a typical problem. Thanks for the advice.

Regards

Arun

• @JaredDolich ,

So your suggestion is to create line items as 

M1toM2

M1toM3

M1toM12

M2toM3

M2toM4

M2toM5

M2toM12

M11toM12