Selective access for lists from dashboards.

I am trying to enable the user to give selective access on a list via dashboard. I published the list to the dashboard and can clearly see the "Read" and "Write" columns on the dashboards, however if I save the dashboard and close and reopen it , the columns of "Read" and "Write" are not visible. Can somebody explain what is the issue here? Is there any workarounds for the same as one can neither import into those columns nor can one apply formula to them. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• LipChean_Soh
    edited November 2022

Hi,

Can you please provide some screen shots and brief descriptions of the issue you're facing?

Thanks,

LipChean

• aakash
    edited November 2022

@rob_marshall 

Thank you so much for providing such a detailed solution. It worked for me. Earlier I had been trying to import into the column "<listname> Write" using textlist but it occurred to me that a comma separated list of list items won't be imported into that columns. 

I tried your approach and it successfully worked.

• austin.call
    edited November 2022

@rob_marshall, thanks for the detailed solution. Super helpful. I have a slightly different use case and had to tweak the build slightly, but this was an awesome blueprint. Appreciate the help. 

• rob_marshall
    edited November 2022

@austin.call 

Glad this worked out for you.

Rob

• sgargava
    edited November 2022

@rob_marshall 

Thanks for this solution. Can you please also help comprehending on how to delete certain items against users who have selective access for a list given that this will incrementally load items?

• rob_marshall
    edited November 2022

@sgargava 

I am not sure I understand, if something was checked and now is unchecked, it should pass the member as the NONE part.  Additionally, I believe you should break out the removal of access (NONE) from the Read/Write access action, so two actions.

Rob

• SP
    SP
    edited November 2022

@rob_marshall - QQ if a new item is created to the numbered list(in this case L3 Project). Since the selective access is enabled, when a new project is created, no user will be able to see it, so how can that be tackled?

• rob_marshall
    edited November 2022

@sherinmpaul 

Because the booleans you are turning on/off is really the Project Flat list, not the L3 Project list.  So when a new member is inserted, it has to be inserted into two places the flat list as well as the hierarchy.  Once they are defined in both, then you can give people access to it.

Rob

• SP
    SP
    edited November 2022

@rob_marshall 
    There is no hierarchy for the project list I am working on, so essentially the project list is a flat list. In this case, will the user be able to create a new project and see it listed in the "User access db" view that you mentioned? Or the admin can only create the projects with the selective access for the users & then the user can change the access (for those respective projects for other users) by following the steps you mentioned?

• rob_marshall
    edited November 2022

@sherinmpaul 

In that case, it will only be the admin who has to have full write access on that flat list.

• SP
    SP
    edited November 2022

@rob_marshall  Thanks for explaining Rob!

• VDPriya
    edited November 2022

Hi @rob_marshall 

I was facing the similar kind of issue but it's with the regular user.

I run a process which contain an action to update the selective access write and read. When I run the process, I see no error. But when a regular user runs it, they find error at the action which is used to update selective access. (You are not authorized to run the "action name").

The import action is from modules saved view to User area.

Is there any way we can make regular user run process successfully? Needed you help here Please.

• rob_marshall
    edited November 2022

@VDPriya 

Sorry, but regular users will not be able to update selective access as you have to be a WSA to do that.

• Hello,

I have a question about the Fake user list. Why should we use a Fake user list? Can we just use the native User list?

Thank you

• Hi @rob_marshall ,

I tried to create the same process as mentioned. The process running fine without throwing any error but when I check the Selective access enable list it is not getting updated.

Can you please help me in this scenario?

To summarize my issue why my list is not getting updated with Read Write access even though the action is running successfully?

Thanks

• @ShounakDeb

Without knowing what was put together, it is a bit difficult to help diagnose the issue. Try breaking it up the the None part of the action and the Read/Write (so run an action with just the None setting, then another action for the Read/Write action) and see if that helps or changes your outcome.

Rob

w

• @hangando

Sorry, just saw your question from June. The reason you have to use the Fake/Custom User list vs the native has everything to do with security/selective access. If you don't have access to the member, then you can't assign it. The Custom User list gives you that ability because selective access for the project/department/geo does not use the custom user list, it uses the native one.

Rob

• Hi @rob_marshall ,

Thanks for the help.

It is working now. It was not updating previously because the specific user had top level being selected already in the write column hence it was not updating with new selections. I created an additional action to reset the selections before updating it.

Thanks

• Thank you, it works perfectly, i'm wondering why it doesn't work with TEXTLIST

• @MarinaKetelslegersNumlix

Because the system is putting the commas in as the separators whereas TextList already has the commas. You are not pasting the values in, you are loading the values for the selective access to work.