Splunk Report

KaiL
Occasional Contributor

Splunk Report

I am trouble shooting a performance issue with a client. I used Splunk default dashboard to generate a report. There are two columns which I need to help to understand the meaning.

Avg Transaction Time

Avg Request Processing Time

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
MarkWarren
Expert

Re: Splunk Report

Thanks @rob_marshall 

"Avg Transaction Time" is the time spent on the server processing the change.

"Avg Request Processing Time" is the total time it took to return the page (from server to browser) after the change.

So the time take to process the request will also include how long it takes to send and receive data and process the page (including any formatting and filters).

View solution in original post

MarkWarren
Expert

If there is a big difference between the transaction time and the request response time that could suggest latency. It could also mean a slow filter or something else. It's an indicator.
There can also be an additional delay in the browser after receiving the request payload. The browser has to unpack that data and construct the page through running javascript, on slower computers that script processing can be slow for very complex pages.
To look for latency, this can be measured in the browser using in built browser tools, called "developer tools".
Here's a great page on that topic:
Debugging site speed with the Chrome DevTools Network tab (debugbear.com)

MarkWarren
Expert

It could be an API call, it could be an action like importing a model into a workspace, depending on the Splunk report it might even be NUX activity that isn't being captured by that report. Potentially a few things. If you have concerns it could be worth following up with whomever supplied the report or support@anaplan.com

9 REPLIES 9
Misbah

@KaiL 

Splunk can be accessed by internal Anaplan employees only. Let me tag THE @rob_marshall 

Misbah

rob_marshall

@Misbah @KaiL 

This has @MarkWarren 's name written all over it.  He is the Splunk master!

MarkWarren
Expert

Thanks @rob_marshall 

"Avg Transaction Time" is the time spent on the server processing the change.

"Avg Request Processing Time" is the total time it took to return the page (from server to browser) after the change.

So the time take to process the request will also include how long it takes to send and receive data and process the page (including any formatting and filters).

KaiL
Occasional Contributor

@MarkWarren 

Thanks for the insightful response. A couple more follow on questions

1.  If the "Avg Request Processing Time" include the time which data travel between server and client, does this means if client have a slow connection (Latency issue), this time will include that as well.

2. Is there a way to identify if user have the latency issue?

MarkWarren
Expert

If there is a big difference between the transaction time and the request response time that could suggest latency. It could also mean a slow filter or something else. It's an indicator.
There can also be an additional delay in the browser after receiving the request payload. The browser has to unpack that data and construct the page through running javascript, on slower computers that script processing can be slow for very complex pages.
To look for latency, this can be measured in the browser using in built browser tools, called "developer tools".
Here's a great page on that topic:
Debugging site speed with the Chrome DevTools Network tab (debugbear.com)

KaiL
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, this is very helpful.
KaiL
Occasional Contributor

@MarkWarren 

Thanks for the reply, it helped me quite a bit to understand some of the performance issue we are investigating. However, I found there are a couple users show up in the Average Transaction Time chart, but not in Avg Request Processing time chart. Do you have any insights why that happen? Both chart are generated with the same parameters.

MarkWarren
Expert

It could be an API call, it could be an action like importing a model into a workspace, depending on the Splunk report it might even be NUX activity that isn't being captured by that report. Potentially a few things. If you have concerns it could be worth following up with whomever supplied the report or support@anaplan.com

KaiL
Occasional Contributor

The missing user was an end user who use the UX to input and review the data. I will create a ticket for support. thx