Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Subtracting Months when using lookup

Hi,

I just tried Timesum just to avoid extra line item to be created, it worked as expected(attached screenshot for same).time sum.JPG

Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

@Pooja ,

Please don't use TimeSum with a module using the time scale as this may cause performance issues.  TimeSum is really meant to be used on a module without time scale.

Thanks,

Rob

Highlighted
Community Boss

@Pooja 

Why would you use TIMESUM on a module where you have time dimension. TIMESUM should be used on a line item without Time Dimension 😛

By the way I liked the way you have done it. Definitely not as per Anaplan Practices though.

Highlighted

Hi 

if you are concerned about the size, you can remove the time dimension of Hire date , Hire date-1 line items.

These 2 line items will take only 2 cells without time dimension. Its simple and you are getting the answer.

~Vignesh M

Highlighted
New Contributor

The Timesum formula works, as I'm getting the expected result.  

Can I ask why using timesum is discouraged if the module is dimensioned by time?

I can change the time scale from "Month" to "Not Applicable".  My question is if I have a bunch of employees that all have a different start month, (thus Hire Date - 1, Hire Date - 2) would all have different results, if switching the time dimension would cause an issue (Besides creating a subsidary view of those line items)

Highlighted

@C0000 ,

Sure, because TimeSum was designed to be used when the TimeScale was not define.  It is better and more efficient to use previous, Offset, or a lookup from a SYS Time module.  Take a look at Anapedia for TimeSum and you will see the following:

2019-07-26_13-11-16.png

More information can be found here:

https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/Calculation_Functions/All/TIMESUM.html?_ga=2.80058775.1638...

Thanks,

Rob