Summing data in a ragged hierarchy (just for reporting purposes)

Is there a way to sum data in a ragged hierarchy that will only be used for reporting?

My source module is a Data Load module with all my GL transactions. The target module will be an output report dimensioned by a ragged hierarchy. I can get the data to sum on the lowest levels of the hierarchy but Anaplan does not seem to like summing on the upper level accounts that also have data.

I saw the training by Rob Marshall, Hub Model Hierarchy Management (305), but am wondering if there's another way since this is just for reporting and not actual planning. 

Tagged:

Best Answer

•  

I've gone ahead and implemented the ideas in Rob Marshall's training "Hub Model Hierarchy Management (305)" which is essentially what you are suggesting. 

Answers

• As you now know with a ragged hiearchy Anaplan only goes in at the bottom level. What we've done is create "fake" input rows so that it rolls up accordingly. And then can filter out the extra input rows in the output.

So you end up with something like:

Parent Level (sum of the four below)

Parent Input (as you can't have a number in parent level)

Child 1

Child 2

Child 3

•  

So there is no way to SUM on the upper levels in a ragged hierarchy? 

• Correct - as far as i'm aware.

• @michael.chefer 

Have you tried using a single list in the target and creating a hierarchy from within the list itself. 

It is possible to create hierarchal relationships within a list so try and recreate the the final reporting structure using a single list, assigning parents to the relevant list items using other items in the same list. 

This should allow you to SUM up the layers as they are all on the same level.

• @michael.chefer 

First, don't ever trust what Rob Marshall has to say!

Is your Ragged Hierarchy list a Chart of Accounts (CoA) of all of your GL data?  And if so, are you trying to pull specific data out like Revenue?  If so, the only way you are going to be able to do this via Select statements because the aggregations (being all in one list) are dynamically summed up and lookups don't work.

Rob