Summing the time dimension

Hi, I'm trying to do something which I think should be very simple but which I just can't seem to get working in Anaplan. I have two modules with exactly the same dimensions, except one has a time dimension (years) and the other does not. How can I have a line item from the second module (without the time dimension) reference a line item in the first module so that it equals the sum of the values over time? I've tried setting the summary option for 'summary' and 'time summary' in the blue print of the first module to sum and yet the output always just comes through as zero regardless of the values in the first module. Any help would be hugely appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out over this one!!! Many thanks, Matt

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Hi Matt,

You could use something like the following formula

Source module name.Source line item name[SELECT: TIME.'FY13']

This would select the total FY 13 (if that is the required year) from the source module and pull into the target module.

Hope this helps
  • Hi Matt,
    Since your target doesn't have a time dimension, the line item does not know which time period to pick up so you will need to tell it which time dimension you want.  Since you want it to sum all of the time periods, you could do this a few ways.  You could do a select statement for each year.  For example, Source.line item[select: time.'fy12']+ Source.line item[select: time.'fy13']+ Source.line item[select: time.'fy14'].

If you have the box checked for "Total of all Periods" in the time section of the Settings tab, your formula would be: Source.line item[select: time.All Periods]

Or you can create a YTD line item in the source where the formula is: YTD = Cumulate(Line item).  Then you could link your target module to this line item and select the last year in the module: Source.YTD[select: time.'fy14']

I hope this is helpful!

Jill King

Answers

• Thanks very much, that's really useful.

It works with 'All Periods' in place of 'FY 13' as well which keeps the formula dynamic. Perfect!
  • Jill, thanks to you as well. That was exactly what I went with.
  • This helps to loop through the YEARS then produce an answer aggregated according to the module dimensions(without time)

1) In the module (without time dimension) add a line item and create a subsidiary view for it  by adding in the YEAR time dimension.

2) Reference the line item in the module(with time) into the newly created line item. SUM across all dimensions except for time as this will auto summate due to matching dimensionality

3) In the your line item that was producing 0s, reference the newly created line item with time dimension. Make sure to also SELECT: Time.All Periods.

And there you have it. You have summed through all the years for the line items and across all the desired dimensions into your module.