TIMESUM/Returning only forecast period values

Hi,

My current module has Year as the time dimension and my reference module has months as the time dimension. I want to return a field from the referenced module but only for the forecast period (Current Period is set to Jan19) & hence for FY19 that would be the sum of Jan19 to Jun19 and FY20 Jul19 to Jun20. My formula is below:

Anaplan1.PNG

I have used the SELECT statement due to a dimensionality mismatch but when I enter the above formula I receive:

'An expression or constant may not be used as argument 1 of the function TIMESUM'

If I do the same formula to another module where this is no dimensionaliy mismatch it works fine, so it is the SELECT argument causing issues I believe

FYI - I am aware that I would need to do an IF ITEM(TIME) statement too to make sure that FY20 returns only FY20, not from Current Start Period to Jun20

1) Is there a way to use TIMESUM while using SELECT?

2) Is there a better way to return only forecast period values?

Thanks for your help

Mark

Best Answer

• Thanks LipChean_Soh

That will work fine. Did you know anyway of doing this without creating other modules (just looking to broaden my understanding)?

Also any idea about the TIMESUM issue with SELECT?

Thanks!

Mark

Answers

• Hi Mark,

Perhaps you can try the following.

There are 3 modules below:

1. Current Period

2. Monthly

3. Yearly

If you're using 'Time' then you need not do anything complicated when you aggregate values from a time scale of lower granularity to a higher granularity.

Thanks,

LipChean

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 8.31.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-15 at 8.32.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-15 at 8.32.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-15 at 8.32.19 PM.png

• @MarkTurkenburg ,

TimeSum is often used when the Time dimension is not present in the module.  But to answer your question, I don't believe you can use Selects or Lookups as parameters of TimeSum().

Hope this helps,

Rob

• Ok that makes sense - thanks Rob