Text Box - Auto removal of extra space

Hi Team,

I have a text box on a Dashboard and I want to line up the sentences in a vertical manner and to do so requires me to add spaces in certain rows so they line up vertically. Anaplan is auto removing these spaces when I click out of the text box

Is there anyway to override this function?

Thanks

Mark

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @MarkTurkenburg 

Have you tried using the “invisible character” instead of spaces?

• Hi @einas.ibrahim 

What's the 'Invisible Character'? I'm intrigued 🤔

• Hi @MarkTurkenburg 

To add a new line in text box - press ctrl + alt + Enter

Note: Use left portion (ctrl and alt) of your keyboard, not right portion.

Capture.JPG

Thanks,

• Hi @MarkTurkenburg 

Is your end goal to have multiple lines separated by line breaks? If that is the case, the below solution might help.

Let's say, you have two line items - Text 1 and Text 2. Create a line item called New Line to be able to use the line breaks.

The "New Line" line item is important and is configured in a certain way.

In this line item, write in the text box (and not in the formula) like below, any character can work but make sure to have a line break:

Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 12.26.43 PM.png

Then use the following formula in the line item where you need to combine multiple line items:

'Text 1' & MID(New Line, 2, 1) & 'Text 2'

Let me know if this helps.

• Thanks @prabhu  & @einas.ibrahim  but I meant adding in extra spaces when entering text like below into a text box

Whenever I enter more than 1 space between words it snaps back to just 1 space when you click outside the text box

IMG2.PNG

• @MarkTurkenburg  Anaplan will treat consecutive spaces as one in the text boxes and will snap back. If you want it to come on the new line, use the carriage return like someone mentioned previously on the thread. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is not a fix for this.

• Thanks @anikdas 

I know to how to drop down a line but I wanted to line up certain items vertically and hence required different lines to have more than 1 space but looks like it is not posisble

• @MarkTurkenburg 

Is this what you were looking for?

image.png

• Yes @einas.ibrahim!

That's exactly what I'm after - how did you do that?

Thanks

Mark

• Hi @MarkTurkenburg 

I did that using black magic 😄

Instead of using spaces, I use the "invisible character". 
    Copy the character between the double quotes and paste it instead of a space character in your text. "⠀"

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

• Of course - yes Black Magic!

It makes sense but I can't get it to work @einas.ibrahim 

I have copied the space between the 2 quotes down the bottom but when I paste into the sentences above there is no space added

Is this the same process you use?

Thanks

Mark

IMG1.PNG

• Hey @MarkTurkenburg 

What do you mean by “copied the space .... down the bottom”?

What I literally did in the text box I sent you is

• copy the invisible character (ctrl + C)
    • Write “Column 1“ then pasted ( ctrl + V) multiple times.
    • Write “Column 2”

• Hi @einas.ibrahim 

I meant "down the bottom" of my screen shot - I had " " & was copying the space between the 2 quotes

But it doesn't work for me. I copy the character but when I paste there is no invisible character that is pasted

• @MarkTurkenburg 

I don't know what to tell you. I'm not aware of any restrictions. I can even use it here in the post.

Before the invisible character ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After the invisible character.

• @MarkTurkenburg 

Take a look at this post which I think might help.

Rob

• Thanks @rob_marshall  & @einas.ibrahim 

For me I was only able to get it to work by copying the 'Invisible Character' from the URL below & pasting into the Text Box on the Dashboard. Not sure why there was a difference between @einas.ibrahim & my result when copying the blank space between 2 quotes but possibly a software issue

http://emptycharacter.com/

In any case this worked for me

Appreciate your help

Mark

• This user-friendly website Blank Text can also be used to copy different Unicode empty characters.