There has to be a better way. Any ideas?

DaanishSoomar
Certified Master Anaplanner

There has to be a better way. Any ideas?

Hello,

While on a rebuilding project with a client, I am ready to delete some modules. Problem is the line items in those modules are used in Formulas and are connected to downstream modules. I know I can reference the specific references in the Blueprint view, and scrolling over to see the Referenced By column.

However, let's say I have 1 line item in particular that I want to delete, but it is referenced in 25+ places. So in order to see all of them I exported the Blueprint view to Excel and split the Referenced By column by comma delimiter. Now I can see the 25+ references individually.

That's quite a LOT of work then to cross-reference/verify back & forth between Excel & Anaplan when deleting those formulas (and in most cases rather changing the formulas to a different properties module). 

I keep telling myself...there has to be a better way. Has anyone found a better approach than what i outlined above? Open to ideas, as this is a recent painpoint I have hit, and would really appreciate alternative ideas. I have normally just gone through the excercise painfully because the scale/scope was not too large, but in this case, this will be quite a bit of work.

13 REPLIES 13
ChrisHeathcote
Community Boss

Re: There has to be a better way. Any ideas?

@DaanishSoomar 

Unfortunately what you describe is the only way. 

While this is a pain it is one of the most valuable benefits of the platform. Unlike an excel model you can not destroy the whole thing by deleting a single cell. 

Thankfully, we have the applies to column to guide us but I think you simply have to work your way through and unpick it all. 

Also, if you clear the list and you still can not delete it check that it is not being used in any ratio summary method. 

Chris Heathcote
Bedford Consulting

Gold Partner and Regional Partner of the Year 2021, EMEA
DaanishSoomar

Just to clarify, I do like that I cannot delete my line item or module until it's references have been cleared or replaced. I am just looking for a way to do this more efficiently & effectively. 

I suppose this thread/post was more of me putting out a challenge to our fellow Anaplan Community & Master Anaplanners, to see if there is another outside-the-box way that someone can think through perhaps using alternative programs or transformations in Excel.

DaanishSoomar

Appreciate the insight however @ChrisHeathcote. I do agree this is the only way to do it right now.

Also tagging @JaredDolich @Misbah @rob_marshall @jasonblinn, hoping we all could perhaps brainstorm other ways to do this same thing? Open to ideas.

JaredDolich

@DaanishSoomar 

Yes, yes, yes! I have the same issue. I can't remember who built it, but there was an Excel VBA or Python app that took all the formulas and built a dependency tree just like the DAG. You could pick any line item and it would trace it forward and backward for you. I'll see if I can find it. 

Tagging master anaplanner @nathan_rudman - he may, in fact, be the person.

Actually, if I can't find it, it might be something fun to build ourselves. Want to?

Jared Dolich
DaanishSoomar

Yes please let's talk about this offline in our tagups @JaredDolich! The best solutions often come from experiencing painpoints and a desire to create a solution for a problem for which one does not exist or could be even better 🙂 

nathan_rudman
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

I do have a code that does something similar (calculates the deep reference), available on https://www.anaplus.app
However it doesnt show you exactly which LIs are actually referencing it.
Could add it easily if you feel it is a lot of pain

Nathan Rudman, Anaplan Model Builder
CallumW

Not sure how I have never seen/heard of this before - is this self-built?

Super impressed!

It would be good to have an "Official Unofficial Resource" area to make these innovations easier to find in the community! 

Callum

nathan_rudman
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

entirely built by myself yes

Nathan Rudman, Anaplan Model Builder
brettnish
Occasional Contributor

More of a general question but how are folks addressing security concerns with clients with regards to 3rd party tools (like https://www.anaplus.app/app or the A+ for Anaplan add-in)? Anaplus.app for example looks fantastic but entering my Anaplan login credentials + the ability to download data seems like a hard stop (especially when working with potentially sensitive data in a client workspace)