Time Range Messing up Time Boolean

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Time Range Messing up Time Boolean

@ankit_cheeni 

You have written PARENT(ITEM(TIME)) as formula.

This is what happens ( in both cases, if model calendar or time range used as dimension ). 

1) When Quarters totals is selected, return quarter value for each month. For Jan 20 its Q1 FY20.

2) When Quarters is not selected, return year value for each month. For Jan 20 its FY 20.

If your list property has value of FY20 

1. quarters total isn't selected in time dimension which is used in module use PARENT(ITEM(TIME)) to match the condition.

2. quarters total is selected in time dimension which is used in module use PARENT(PARENT(ITEM(TIME))) to match the condition.

Thanks,

Harsha

Highlighted
Contributor

Harsha,
I understood your point but couldn't grasp why you're comparing the formulas when i am not using the time range anywhere.
The answer lies somewhere in between what you and I are saying.
Since I have introduced Quater totals in the model (doesn't matter I do not use the time range which has the quarters or not), I have introduced an intermediate level in the hierarchy between month and year, which will be consistent across the model.

That is my best guess unless someone has a better understanding
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hi @ankit_cheeni 

This is an excerpt from the Time Range Anaplan training ...
"Levels of aggregation that are enabled in a line item, but which aren’t already included in the model, are added to the model when the time range is applied to the line item. Be aware that this could cause a Time Period formatted line item, when using the PARENT function, to return a different result than expected.  For example, the formula Name(PARENT(item(time))) for Jan 18 will return FY 18 if quarter aggregations are not enabled and if quarter aggregations are enabled the result is Qtr1FY18."

I believe it explains the behavior you are experiencing.  

Let me know if that's the case.

This is the training link
https://s3.amazonaws.com/anaplanenablement/Community/343+Intro+to+Time+Ranges/index.html#/lessons/CL...

- Einas

Einas
"Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime"
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Hi,

Kanishq17_0-1587992666728.png

As mentioned about time range, as you used Fy20 time range with Quarter total as dimension, thereby a part of the model time superset, hence its aggregation i.e Quarter is identified as the immediate parent for time-formatted line item , hence even in model timescale if you didnt use aggregation, due to this feature for time formatted period, anaplan is taking immediate ancestor to be Quarter and not year, thereby breaking granularity.

Hope this helps

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks @Kanishq17  @einas.ibrahim for validating the behavior. 

Cheers!