Time Range Messing up Time Boolean

Hi, 

I was testing Time Range to calculate items for the current year only. I created an FY20 time range

ankit_cheeni_0-1587945703859.png

However, as soon as I use the Time Range in one of the modules, a line item in another module starts acting weird

ankit_cheeni_1-1587945808999.png

However, as soon as I delete the time range (by first removing the references), the formula starts working

ankit_cheeni_2-1587945926886.png

I do not understand why this would be happening. Can someone explain the working on time range and if I am using it incorrectly?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Harsha
    Answer ✓

@ankit_cheeni 

You have written PARENT(ITEM(TIME)) as formula.

This is what happens ( in both cases, if model calendar or time range used as dimension ). 

1) When Quarters totals is selected, return quarter value for each month. For Jan 20 its Q1 FY20.

2) When Quarters is not selected, return year value for each month. For Jan 20 its FY 20.

If your list property has value of FY20 

1. quarters total isn't selected in time dimension which is used in module use PARENT(ITEM(TIME)) to match the condition.

2. quarters total is selected in time dimension which is used in module use PARENT(PARENT(ITEM(TIME))) to match the condition.

Thanks,

Harsha

• Harsha,
    I understood your point but couldn't grasp why you're comparing the formulas when i am not using the time range anywhere.
    The answer lies somewhere in between what you and I are saying.
    Since I have introduced Quater totals in the model (doesn't matter I do not use the time range which has the quarters or not), I have introduced an intermediate level in the hierarchy between month and year, which will be consistent across the model.

That is my best guess unless someone has a better understanding

Answers

• Hi @ankit_cheeni,

Since your TimeRange is defined for FY20 and FY18, it will turn TRUE only for the respective years (Jan 20-Dec 20/Jan 18-Dec 18). Kindly define a Time Range for FY19 and test your module.

Thanks

Sathya

• Hello @ankit_cheeni ,

When you create a time range for FY20 and used it in a module, say Module A, then Module A is applicable only for FY20 time range. 

When Module B, which has model Calender ( FY19 - FY20 ), is referencing a line item from Module A then only FY20 columns will have values.

FY19 Columns will have blank because FY19 is not applicable to Module A. 

Harsha_D_0-1587959851629.png

Harsha_D_1-1587959880699.png    

Harsha_D_4-1587960034414.png

I hope this clears your query.

Thanks,

Harsha

• Hi Sathya,
    The time range is being used in say X module and the boolean is in a separate Y Module. The new time range isn't being used in the concerned module. Let me know if I should clarify further

• Hi @Harsha 

Let me clarify further since Satya had similar confusion. I created an FY20 Time Range and used it in one module:

ankit_cheeni_0-1587960488676.png

I have another module, that exists independently of this summary module

ankit_cheeni_1-1587960635200.png

This module has a line item that was working fine earlier, but now is not showing the correct values. To be more clear, I am adding FY20 screenshot.

ankit_cheeni_2-1587960719385.png

Just by not using the time range, I am able to get the formula working

ankit_cheeni_3-1587960842399.png

Let me know if you would need further clarification.

• Hello @ankit_cheeni ,

Looks like in snapshot staging module, you are pulling value from another module Snapshot Version. What's the dimension of that module?

Thanks,
    Harsha
  • Harsha,
    That is a list which is dimensioning the Snapshot Staging module and has a property named Applicable Year which is being used in the formula.
  • @Harsha @SathyaM 

I have identified the issue but not sure about the reasoning or alternative approach behind it. 

The reasons I used a time range are:

1. To use only "FY20" instead of all the years
    2.  To use quarter totals which is not part of the model calendar (but is part of the time range I created)
      ankit_cheeni_0-1587962287104.png

The moment I remove quarter totals from my time range, the formula is working fine. 

It seems like Anaplan isn't able to work with the inconsistency within the time range and Model calendar. Is this hypothesis correct?

If yes, what would be another way to use quarter in only one of the modules in the model without adding quarter totals throughout the model? I would probably create a dummy quarter list.

• Hello @ankit_cheeni ,

When you select Quarter total in model calendar, Time list will looks like this,

Harsha_D_0-1587962558766.png

When you remove Quarter totals then looks like this, 

Harsha_D_1-1587962609969.png

When you select quarter totals in model calendar and write formula as PARENT(ITEM(TIME)) then it return respective quarters.

Eg: For Jan 20 = Q1 FY20,  Mar 20 = Q2 FY20.

But when you deselect quarter totals, then for the same formula return FY20 as value.

In your case:

1) when select quarters total : List property has FY20 has value but you have return formula Snapshot.applicable year=PARENT(ITEM(Time)) is false because FY20 is not equal to Q1 FY20.

2) when Deselect quarter totals : formula return FY20=FY20 hence condition is true.

If you want to have quarters total in model calendar and this condition has to be true then give

PARENT(PARENT(ITEM(TIME)))=Snapshot.Applicable year as formula.

Hope this is clear to you.

Thanks,

Harsha 

• Harsha,
    I think you are missing the point. As mentioned previously, the new time range (which has the Quarter totals) isn't being used in the Snapshot Staging module. Snapshot staging has the model calendar which doesn't have Quarter totals.

For some reason, the existence of Quarter in one of the time ranges (even if that time range isn't being used anywhere) is causing the time formula to deviate from its obvious behavior. Let me know if this clarifies the issue.
  • Hi @ankit_cheeni 

This is an excerpt from the Time Range Anaplan training ...
    "Levels of aggregation that are enabled in a line item, but which aren’t already included in the model, are added to the model when the time range is applied to the line item. Be aware that this could cause a Time Period formatted line item, when using the PARENT function, to return a different result than expected.  For example, the formula Name(PARENT(item(time))) for Jan 18 will return FY 18 if quarter aggregations are not enabled and if quarter aggregations are enabled the result is Qtr1FY18."

I believe it explains the behavior you are experiencing.  

Let me know if that's the case.

This is the training link
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/anaplanenablement/Community/343+Intro+to+Time+Ranges/index.html#/lessons/CLqs92xCVPBF7Cl7f9xMF7hGSDfMdklj?_k=vgont7

- Einas

• Hi,

Kanishq17_0-1587992666728.png

As mentioned about time range, as you used Fy20 time range with Quarter total as dimension, thereby a part of the model time superset, hence its aggregation i.e Quarter is identified as the immediate parent for time-formatted line item , hence even in model timescale if you didnt use aggregation, due to this feature for time formatted period, anaplan is taking immediate ancestor to be Quarter and not year, thereby breaking granularity.

Hope this helps

• Thanks @Kanishq17  @einas.ibrahim for validating the behavior. 

Cheers!