Time dimension not syncing from module to module

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Time dimension not syncing from module to module

Hello everyone,

I have noticed when working on some models that the Time dimension doesn't sync from module to module - as in the attached picture. Both modules have the same Time Range - Default Model Calendar - and the same Time Scale -Month.

Is there a reason why this is happening and how can I fix it?

2 modules in the same model2 modules in the same model

Thank you

Einas
"Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime"
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Time dimension not syncing from module to module

I don't think you can expect the selections of any kind to sync across modules until they are embedded within a Dashboard or New UX Page where synchronization can be turned on.  Remember, the end user will be interacting with a Dashboard or Page, not directly with the underlying Module in most cases.

Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Hi,

@EarlC Synchronization works across modules too, you can do a test to check this out.

@einas.ibrahim  However i noticed filtering turned on in 'MI Hotel P&L', so can you check if 'Time' is following some sort of filtering there? That would prevent synchronization from happening in 'MI Hotel P&L'.

Thanks,

LipChean

Highlighted
New Contributor

Ha, interesting. I had never even noticed!
Highlighted

@einas.ibrahim 

I would also add to @LipChean_Soh response:

If the modules are using the same list, version, or time they will sync if they are already open.

If you open a module for the first time it will revert to default view. 

Once both are open, they will sync.

Also, as @LipChean_Soh mentioned, if any of the modules have filters it will affect the sync.

If the filter contradicts the list choice made in module then that module will not sync.

Here is an example.

Both modules have no filter and they sync when the month is changed:

Original Module:

ModuleSync001.png\

Target module syncs.

ModuleSync002.png

Example: original module gets aggregated to quarter. Target module has filter that only allows months to be shown.

This module is aggregated to quarter:

ModuleSync003.png

Target module does not sync because the filter contradicts the change made in the original module. So it stays on June.

ModuleSync004.png

Jared Dolich
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your replies.
@LipChean_Soh filtering sounded like a very plausible reason for the sync issue, however, I changed the filtered module with another that doesn't have any filtered and the issue persisted (see screenshot)

@JaredDolich I agree with you, that should be the expected behavior.  My selections were months in each module yet it still didn't sync.

It is my understanding that modules should open to the "Current Period" set in the Time Setting, Is that not correct? 

Thank you again for responding.

Einas
"Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime"
Highlighted

Hi @einas.ibrahim 

If there's a Current Period in the time setting, the Current Period will be automatically shown as the initial time when you log into your model. However after that, the standard time on the page selector area of the modules should synchronize.

Have you tried asking your colleague to simulate what you did, and whether he/she gets the same results?

If your colleague still experiences the same issue, i would suggest that you email support@anaplan.com for some help. They might be able to do a screen sharing session with you.

Also can you attach screen shots of your Standard Time and Standard Version page in this thread?

Thanks,

LipChean

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hi @LipChean_Soh ,

I'll reach to Anaplan support and circle back here with their response.

Yes, others see exactly what I see when they open the model.

Attached is a screenshot of the Time Setting. As you can see, I changed the Current Period to Oct 19 yet the modules just ignore it. 

Thanks for your response

Einas
Highlighted

Hi @einas.ibrahim 

What browser are you using when you work on Anaplan?

Thanks,

LipChean

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Chrome. But I did try Edge and I got the same behavior
Einas