Time dimension not syncing from module to module

Hello everyone,

I have noticed when working on some models that the Time dimension doesn't sync from module to module - as in the attached picture. Both modules have the same Time Range - Default Model Calendar - and the same Time Scale -Month.

Is there a reason why this is happening and how can I fix it?

2 modules in the same model2 modules in the same model

Thank you

Tagged:

Best Answer

• einas.ibrahim
    Answer ✓

Hello Everyone
    @LipChean_Soh  @ArunManickam @clark.earl @JaredDolich @EarlC 

I did contact support regarding this issue of the dates not syncing and I just got it resolved yesterday after a lot of trial and error. I want to share the solution or reason for the unexpected behavior.

To recap what the issue is .... I have different modules in the same model, using the same Calendar and Time Scale and not filtered showing different time selections.

First of all, I had to convince a lot of people I talked to - including some in support-  that the expected behavior is for the date (and every other dimension) in a model to sync. That alarmed me because this is a basic concept.

When one first creates a module, Time is placed on Columns. I prefer to have time as a page selector - at least while developing-. So when I forgot to move the Time dimension to Pages while creating the module, I would pivot the module and save the view with the time in pages as the default view.

These modules with an "overridden" default view were the ones not syncing. Apparently, when you override the default view with time in Pages - set on Feb 20 for example -, every subsequent time you open the module it will have Feb 20 regardless of the time currently selected in the rest of the model.
    I don't know if that's the intended behavior or what is the logic /benefits behind it, but I find it confusing.      

If instead of saving the view as a default view -after you move time to the pages section- you save it as another view, the time dimension will sync in the new saved view with the model without an issue.

This is not a Time only issue, the behavior is the same when any other dimension in the model

This might not be a common issue that many people face or are irritated by it, but I have a knack of finding rare exceptions (it's a curse 🙂) and I don't settle until I find the underlying reason.

Hope that was helpful

Answers

• I don't think you can expect the selections of any kind to sync across modules until they are embedded within a Dashboard or New UX Page where synchronization can be turned on.  Remember, the end user will be interacting with a Dashboard or Page, not directly with the underlying Module in most cases.

• Hi,

@EarlC Synchronization works across modules too, you can do a test to check this out.

@einas.ibrahim  However i noticed filtering turned on in 'MI Hotel P&L', so can you check if 'Time' is following some sort of filtering there? That would prevent synchronization from happening in 'MI Hotel P&L'.

Thanks,

LipChean

• @einas.ibrahim 

I would also add to @LipChean_Soh response:

If the modules are using the same list, version, or time they will sync if they are already open.

If you open a module for the first time it will revert to default view. 

Once both are open, they will sync.

Also, as @LipChean_Soh mentioned, if any of the modules have filters it will affect the sync.

If the filter contradicts the list choice made in module then that module will not sync.

Here is an example.

Both modules have no filter and they sync when the month is changed:

Original Module:

ModuleSync001.png\

Target module syncs.

ModuleSync002.png

Example: original module gets aggregated to quarter. Target module has filter that only allows months to be shown.

This module is aggregated to quarter:

ModuleSync003.png

Target module does not sync because the filter contradicts the change made in the original module. So it stays on June.

ModuleSync004.png

• Ha, interesting. I had never even noticed!
  • Hello everyone,

Thank you for your replies.
    @LipChean_Soh filtering sounded like a very plausible reason for the sync issue, however, I changed the filtered module with another that doesn't have any filtered and the issue persisted (see screenshot)

@JaredDolich I agree with you, that should be the expected behavior.  My selections were months in each module yet it still didn't sync.

It is my understanding that modules should open to the "Current Period" set in the Time Setting, Is that not correct? 

Thank you again for responding.

• Hi @einas.ibrahim 

If there's a Current Period in the time setting, the Current Period will be automatically shown as the initial time when you log into your model. However after that, the standard time on the page selector area of the modules should synchronize.

Have you tried asking your colleague to simulate what you did, and whether he/she gets the same results?

If your colleague still experiences the same issue, i would suggest that you email support@anaplan.com for some help. They might be able to do a screen sharing session with you.

Also can you attach screen shots of your Standard Time and Standard Version page in this thread?

Thanks,

LipChean

• Hello @einas.ibrahim 

The other reason it could happen is because of time ranges.

Do you have different time ranges on these modules?

Thanks

Arun

• Thanks @ArunManickam
    That was my first guess, however, the model doesn't use any time ranges.

-Einas

• Hi @LipChean_Soh ,

I'll reach to Anaplan support and circle back here with their response.

Yes, others see exactly what I see when they open the model.

Attached is a screenshot of the Time Setting. As you can see, I changed the Current Period to Oct 19 yet the modules just ignore it. 

Thanks for your response

• Hi @einas.ibrahim 

What browser are you using when you work on Anaplan?

Thanks,

LipChean

• Chrome. But I did try Edge and I got the same behavior
  • @einas.ibrahim 

Excellent summary of the use-case. Thank you!

Somewhat related to your use-case is the one of exports.

I have also noticed that for exports if your saved view ever changes you will need to re-run the export manually or the default view will not change, even if you use "EVERYONE" as the export type.

Really appreciate you letting everyone know how what you learned!

• One of my mottos is "Sharing is Caring"😀
    For your export issue, is it when you save the export view as a default view or any saved view?

• @einas.ibrahim 

This occurs when you initially create an export for automation purposes.

If, subsequently, you change the saved view, you will need to re-run the export manually before it will work with your automation process.

It's only slightly related to your use-case but I thought I would mention it because this condition seems to show up in a couple of places.