Unwinding debtors into future period

Hi,

I have a line item with the balance for each invoice which is a list at the end of the month 

I have another line item for the predicted timeperiod that cash is expected 

I want to forecast cash received based of only the current months closing position. 

regards 

Tagged:

Best Answer

• You need to set up a properties module for you invoices list which you can use to define the expected payment delay.
    If your target module is dimensioned by period month then in you properties module allocated a number for each invoice that indicates how many months you expect to wait for payment.
    In your target module we can use the function POST to post into future periods based on the number entered in the properties module for each invoice.
    In the forecast cash line item use a formula such as the following;
    = POST(closing balance, properties module.expected delay)
    The formula will offset and post the value from the closing balance line item the specified number of periods forward into future months.

Answers

• Hi,

Not sure I understand what it is you are trying to achieve here. Is it somewhat similar to what I've mocked up down here?

If so, are you trying to forecast your balance amounts in the "Expected Period for cash"?

DouglasEaton_0-1600873080293.png

• Sorry my list includes invoices 

The module has time, time isn’t the parent of the invoices

so for example the time selected is Jan 21 

All 5 invoices have the balances as below 

so in a new module with time in the module I want to display 

mar 21 $34

apr 21 $50

jun 21 $100

balance(sum: expected period) 

however say the period is now mar 21 and 

invoice 5 still hasn’t been received so it’s now expected in Apr 21 

any time period previous to mar 21 would be actuals received and I want to forecast the upcoming months receivables  

apr 21 being the now being $84 invoice 4 and invoice 5

thanks you for your reply 

• Hi,

Is this what you are looking for:

DouglasEaton_0-1600957510561.png

If so, my advice to you would be to change your invoice register to be timeless (I don't believe invoice details are meant to change over time; maybe corrected every now and then but not reviewed every month).

Even so, the only thing you need, is to calculated a cumulative theoretical balance and a cumulative actual balance in order to figure out the adjustment or true-up amount that you need to post. When you have it, it's a matter of linking it to the current month based on your model time setting.

Hope my example can help:

DouglasEaton_0-1600957908279.png

• Thank you for your responses

Yes the POST worked well To solve my issue

Thanks again