Upload - Non Mapped Source Items Identification

Hi team,

Is there a way to identify Source Items in a list that have not been mapped to an item in the target for a Upload to a module in Grid Mode?

I am aware you can manually identify the non-mapped items by scanning the Mapping tab but this seems inefficient and error prone (especially with large data sets). When you upload with a non-mapped item no error is recorded and hence it is difficult to identify

My example is below is only using a small data set but displays my question

Thanks

Answers

• @MarkTurkenburg 

I'm not aware of a method to identify non-mapped list items in the mapping section of the import but there might be a better way.

The source and target presumably have different list items perhaps even for the same hierarchy. This can happen, say, if you're using a list subset.

One way to quickly, reliably and accurately identify those list items that are mapped and/or not mapped is to create an audit table.

You can import just the list items into a module then use a FINDITEM to see which ones actually got mapped and which ones didn't.

Anyway, just a suggestion for you.

Let us know what you decide to do. I'm sure there's many ways to solve this.

• Thanks @JaredDolich 

It's not currently an issue for me but was just thinking about how you could confirm completeness of uploads with large data sets. I could definitely see scenarios where 1 or multiple Source items are slightly different to the Target etc and it would be difficult to determine whether the full data set has been imported 

You could always create Dummy list item in the data source which is the SUM of all the other list items the source. You could then create a module with this item mapped through and compare vs the results from the upload module to identify variances 

Think it would be helpful for Anaplan to have a native solution for this because it doesn't matter how fantastic the calculation engine is if the source data is incorrect!

Mark

• Hello @MarkTurkenburg ,

Valid point. Native solution is the way to go.

But until then, I would follow what @JaredDolich  has explained. When you need a robust data integration, then you would build staging modules and landing modules. The unmapped entities would remain in the staging module and validated items would land in the landing/target module. This way the user/admin can know which data items dint make their way into Anaplan.

Thanks

Arun

• Thanks @ArunManickam 

I'll keep it in the mind for future data integrations

Mark

• Hi All,

Similar to what all of you have mentioned, what we did was to load the file to a flat staging module and create a reconciliation module which is by time and line items only.  In the staging module, we create line item that uses FINDITEM to identify the possibly unmapped list items for each list, and create module view with filter to show the unmapped items only.  The reconciliation module summarizes data in the staging module and target module such as total value in source file (staging module), total value in target module, total value of unmapped items of each list.  When administrator notices that there is unmapped value in the reconciliation module, further investigation is done via module views in the staging module.

Regards,

Andre