Variance Dashboard Page selector

Hi Community, 

I am struggling building up a Variance dashboard at CC/GL level. Having so many members I encounter spacing issues. I have also added a numerous other dimensions (Rows - GL accounts / Columns - Line items ->I will bring the data through line items formulas instead of Versions so that I can calculate different scenarios / Page - Time, Cost Center, Reporting Crry, Comparison Scenario). 

What I intend to to is to calculate the line items based on Scenario and FX impact ( ex: if Scenario is Actual vs Budget and Eliminate FX impact, then Variance = Actual at Budget Rate - Budget).

Trying to avoid the spacing issue, "Eliminate FX impact" does not apply to source model of the dashboard, but instead it's a line item of another dashboard (selection is not dependent and user can input it directly). The disadvantage is that Selection will change for everybody. Below is part of the formula. 

Is there a more practical way I could make this dashboard instead of applying all dimensions to the module and also not being modified by the final user?

***IF ITEM(VS) = VS.Actual vs Budget AND Latest Estimates.Eliminate FX Impact = TRUE ****

Capture.JPG

Answers

• Hi @Alexandru.Rosca 

Could you please provide a screenshot of your blueprint. I need to see all the dimensions used? What is the dimension "Local"?

• Hi Alexandru,

A lot of it depends on how you have set up the modules. So analyse my response in order to see if it fits.

1) It seems that the comparison (Actual vs budget) is both in the selection and in the page selector. Is it duplicated?

2) In any case "AND Latest Estimates.Eliminate FX Impact = TRUE" could be shortened to "AND Latest Estimates.Eliminate FX Impact"

=> no functional difference, but applies a best practice.

3) You could set up the selection with the list "Users" in the applies to. That way the selection would be user-specific. Anaplan will automatically select the relevant value for the user that is logged in when referenced in formulas.

4) in order to make it smaller more visually appealing. Have you considered setting up a dedicated reporting module for this purpose? Only retaining the relevant lists for comparison? You could potentially set up 2 or 3 reporting modules with different dimensionality to serve other purposes.. 

This tends to make the problem easier to grasp.

Feel free to share blueprints of the underlying modules, this could result in a more to the point answer!

All the best,

Maarten.

• It is strange why I am seeing this topic being brought to life now :)

What I've decided in the end was to remove the page selector and FX removal tick, and instead I created them through line items. This way I could control where currency impact applies and what are the calculated scenarios. Reduced the cube quite a lot since some of the scenarios were not even relevant in the initial approach. I also attached a snipe from blueprint if anyone is interested in the solution. 

The only disadvantage is that the users are seeing all data bulk in a dashboard and is not calculated through the selection. Can be easily solved through saved views, but wasn't a requirement so far. 

• Glad you found a solution. 
    I see a lot of issues in the community related to "over dimensionalizing".
    As you said if some of the dimensions don't apply to the data or the data won't have different values for each of the intersections then that dimension should not be included.