Views in models V custom views in UX pages

Hi 

The general consensus is to create custom views in UX pages,my question:

- are there things you can only do in model views in models v custom views in UX pages, or vice versa?

I won't to know the limitations of both. 

Ravinder

Answers

• @RavinderB 

For the most part, I also only use custom views however, there are some exceptions where saved views are preferred. Here's some reasons to use saved views:

• For imports and exports they are critical. So data integration is almost always a saved view.
    • For security reasons. Sometimes you don't want people changing the view or adding things you don't want to be part of the analysis
    • For support reasons. You can reuse saved views. Sometimes planners need the same view but with different charts. This saves a step of having to recreate a custom view. Also, if you change the saved view, it gets changed everywhere. So if you reuse the view then you only have to change it once.

Anyway, these are my top reasons. I'm sure there's a few more. 

• Thank you

• @RavinderB 

You bet! Don't forget to mark the answer as solved. I think you accidentally marked your thank you note instead. Hehe.

• One functional behaviour I've found better with custom views is that it retains the line items you've selected to be displayed unlike model views that automatically adds new line items that you've created against the model view.

For example, you have module ABC. It initially it had 3 line items: A, B and C. You then create a model view "Test" which only displays line items A and B. If you add model view "Test View" to the UX and then later add a new line item D to the module ABC, the model view "Test" will automatically append the new line item D to the saved view which in turn will end up displaying in your UX page. So if you don't want the new line item D to display on the UX page you would need to remember to update the model view to remove line item D from it. 

On the other hand, if you add module ABC as a custom view to the UX and select only line items A and B to display. Even if you add new line item D to module ABC later, the UX page will continue to display line items A and B only. So in this case, custom views are less tedious to configure compared to model views when used in UX pages.  

• @TristanS 

For module views, if you use Show instead of hide when creating views, this will only show the line items in question regardless of any line items you add to the module.

So this gets preserved in the UX page for module views.

Unless something has changed here.

Thk you 

Ravinder 

• @RavinderB Thanks. Looks like I've learned something here from you more than you've learned from me 😁