Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Will Selenium or another web browser automation tool work?

We are wondering if we can automate creating lists, modules, actions, etc. in the Anaplan UI with Selenium or another web browser automation tool.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Will Selenium or another web browser automation tool work?

Hi

We do use Selenium internally at Anaplan as part of our approach to automated testing. But this is within the context of having access to the engineering teams that are building the application which gives us some unique insights and capabilities that you wont be able to tap into when trying this from the outside. We do of course have some insights into the feasibility of this as a result which I share here.

Anaplan is quite a complicated application to automate with browser testing tools, and as you can appreciate, the application is under active development and the existing web application changes frequently.

If you were to try to use Selenium, you would find a number of problems;

- As a single-page application, Anaplan initiates lots of server requests for data and HTML. It is not always clear, when writing a Selenium test, when those server operations have successfully completed -- for example, when a list is fully data bound, or a dialog has loaded with all its data. This means your code can become very complex as you search for ways to test for Anaplan operations competing. Developers and testers here at Anaplan can add to the application as they write features, improving the testability of the app; without this ability to augment the app, Selenium testing can be very frustrating and slow.

- The user interface changes, in possibly subtle ways, all the time. For example, CSS classes that you may rely on to find, say, a dialog or tab are not guaranteed to be there the next time we release software. The time you invest in automation will start to 'rot' almost immediately, which again will be very frustrating.

- Lastly, as an organisation, I think Anaplan's Customer Success department, our researchers and support staff could help you find a better solution if we understood the nature of the problem better. As a developer I understand the desire to automate, but we may have features or ideas that help you avoid the complexity of this approach.

So it is doable, but I strongly suggest you seek alternative approaches first. 

Jon.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Jon.

We want to automate the process of creating lists and modules in the UI. We find it rather labourious to do it manually because we would like to import and export many different CSV dataset files into Anaplan.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

OK - I think if you limit this to very simple scripts - eg just creating a list, just Creating a module. You might be able to achieve your goal. Other things like running an import from a csv should be done using the API if at all possible. So keep it as simple as possible and it is achievable.

I would be interested to hear on exactly how many lists and modules you intend to create and at what frequency.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

OK, thanks, Jon.

We are exploring proof-of-concepts right now. We don't know the number of lists and modules that we may create or their frequency, just yet. We have already used the REST API in our POC. We will ask more questions when we have decided upon an approach.

Highlighted

Primarily, Selenium is for automating web applications for testing purposes, but is certainly not limited to just that. Boring web-based administration tasks can (and should!) be automated as well. Get Selenium Training to gain more knowledge.

Selenium has the support of some of the largest browser vendors who have taken (or are taking) steps to make Selenium a native part of their browser. It is also the core technology in countless other browser automation tools, APIs and frameworks.

Highlighted
Community Boss

Hi,

I'm curious on the use case that would require you to often create lists and modules.

I suspect a flaw in the original design of the model.  Usually, we only create new lists and modules when we develop new functionalities, which isn't something that needs to be automated.

Nathan Rudman
Anaplan Model Builder
Highlighted
New Contributor

selenium has the guide of some of the largest browser carriers who have taken (or are taking) steps to make selenium a native part of their browser. it is also the core generation in countless other browser automation gear, apis and frameworks.For More Knowledge Enroll For <a href="https://www.svrtechnologies.com/selenium-training/selenium-online-training">Selenium Online Training </a>
Highlighted

It depends on which training tool the particular developer or the person of higher authority is using. If he is using tools like Jacoco, TestNg, then it is relevant. Selenium training in Bangalore is quite popular in here in the city of Bangalore among the candidates who are actually looking for jobs.

Highlighted

Yes, it might work due to its relevancy with automation testing and software testing. But, then it actually depends upon the developer on how he has been using it. For instance, if the developer is now using such tools like Jacoco, Test Ng, it will be quite beneficial for him to be at the top of the pile. Thus, both Selenium training and Selenium certification falls under the criteria of being in the top domain. This has prompted a lot of students and job aspirants to take up the particular training.