Workspace model oversize

Hi,

I received an error msg regarding the workspace exceeding the size limit when I wanted to add more lists into “Applies to” as I added an additional context/page selector and needed to add up the figures with an additional criteria in the formula bar using the sum function

Is there  a way to resolve this issue?

Kindly refer to the attached pic for more details.

Thanks. 

Answers

• @DarrenS 

Aw, ****. You've exceeded your workspace limit. But there's good news. Best way is to get some space back is to archive some models that aren't being used. If your a workspace admin you can do this yourself, or work with your tenant administrator. In the past, I've cleaned up many workspaces and typically I'll give everyone a heads up that I'm archiving their models if they haven't been used in the last 30 days or so. Some are more obvious like app hub downloads that take up a lot of memory. Hope that helps!

• @JaredDolich I don't think that a 236 GB model will fit into a 130 GB workspace. Current size i 52 GB. 😉

@DarrenS Can you explain what you mean with "my intended page selectors"? Is it just for filtering or also calculations on all dimensions? The second would require the use of combined hierarchies if you want to have all these dimensions in the same module with calculations on all dimensions. 

• Hi @PhilippErkinger 

I'm actually adding these page selectors as filters but i guess it would involve calculation so that the data is linked up properly with the various selectors.  How do i do this in a more efficient way that doesn't take up too much space

• @DarrenS that's not easy to explain in words, because this is more advanced model building. In principle you will have to decide if the dimensions are required to be part of the SUM logic or not. 

- If dimensions are required in SUM 

Use composite lists instead of individual lists. You will need some imports to package / compile them off the source data module. Additional properties can help to filter.

https://help.anaplan.com/9097cabd-b958-4ab9-8a7f-ecb91e06d1f7-List-Hierarchies

- If dimensions are NOT required in SUM, but only for sync / filtering only.

Include all the dimensions only in the top-applies to and utilise additional line items with checks on specific list properties. Not sure what the relation is between your lists, but it could be a line item that has Industry and Segment included and a check like Industry.Segment = Segment, given that Segment would be a property of the Industry list. This can help then to show only the Industry list items with the selected segment. Just be careful to remove always all dimensions from the applies to before adding new line items.

Hope that helps

• @DarrenS 

It is very tempting to throw all the dimensions that you can possibly think of into a module so that user are able slice and dice the data across all possible dimensions. 

However, when we do this we increase the size of the module by a factor equal to the number of list items in the new list. 

Dimensions in a module are not filters despite how they appear on a grid in the UX. They should only be included because data exists at the intersection of all relevant dimensions. 

As it is very unlikely that data will exist at every intersection of every dimension we are creating unnecessary cell count and introducing sparsity into our model. It becomes inefficient and slow.

Therefore, I recommend the following;

• Only include dimensions that are relevant to the calculation
    • Use user defined inputs in a separate mdule to drive SUM calculations
    • Add the user list to the filter and output module to ensure the SUM calculation are unique to each user

Publish your stripped down grid alongside the line items driving the SUM to a dashboard.