filter the values in a page selector based on another page selector

Hi,

I have 2 separate hierarchies 

1. L1 Region L2 Country

2. L1 Channel L2 Retailer 

I have a planning module that uses both these dimensions and to plan for units sold in a country at a retailer.

I have published both the lists as page selectors on a dashboard. Currently when a user selects a country and then select a retailer they cannot see which retailers are in a specific country.

If I want to provide that functionality will I have to create a new hierarchy or is there another way to 

Tagged:

Best Answer

• kavinkumar
    Answer ✓

@BahalR,

Here you go with more detail,

Create a Selection Module with User dimension and line items as per SS,

filter the values in a page selector based on another page selector.PNG

In planning module, create a filter line item and change the applies to and put the formula as per below pic,

filter the values in a page selector based on another page selector 1.PNG

Then apply the filter based on above created line item,

filter the values in a page selector based on another page selector 2.PNG

Publish only the selection line items to the dashboard and do your selection, now the grid will get updated based on your selection.

filter the values in a page selector based on another page selector 3.PNG

I hope this elaborates you!! Let me know if you have any doubts.

Note: You can make use of the dependent drop down, lets say if there is any relation between country and retailer then based on Country selection, My retailer selection will show only respective items. Ex below,

filter the values in a page selector based on another page selector 4.PNG

filter the values in a page selector based on another page selector 5.PNG

End result,

filter the values in a page selector based on another page selector 6.PNG

Cheers,

Kavin.

Answers

• HI @BahalR,

Without creating hierarchy, we can fix this. Why don't you use a line item with drop down instead of page selectors. Follow the steps below,

Step 1: Create a selection Module without any dimension (Note: If you want to make this as user specific, then put User dimension).

Step 2: Create 2 line items with country and retailer formatted.

Step 3: Create a filter line item in your planning module with respect to above selection.

Step 4: Publish only the above created selection line items to the dashboard and apply the filter on Planning module grid.

This will solve your concern. Hence based on the selections made, the grid will get updated.

Let me know if you need more clarification on this!! Glad to help you 😉

Note: You can make Retailer selection as dependent drop down, ie. Based on the country selection, you can filter out other items in Retailer selection.

I hope this helps!!

Regards,

Kavin.

• thanks for your response Kavin.

Cab you please explain Step 3 in more detail. What do you mean when you when you say create line item based in the planning module based on above selection?

• @kavinkumar 

Hi Kavin,

It was indeed very helpful but i am getting an error message while i am taking the two lists in Applies to for filter, 

The error is: It is an invalid applies to as both the list has common ancestors.

Could you please help me understanding the error.

Regards

Soumya 

• @Soumyajaiswal,

The above solution would work in case of the lists that don't fall into the hierarchy. In your scenario, it seems to be u trying out something within the hierarchical structure.