unable to sync time with graph

Hi, 

I created a graph with Time on the x-axis ( please see attached screenshot ), and created a page selector in my dashboard. I am now trying to sync the Time so that when I select the Time using the page selector, the graph will be updated as well. I already displayed all the Time in the graph, but still I am unable to sync it. 

I noticed that in the graph, the quarters are not displayed even though in my source module these are displayed. Is this the reason why I cannot sync it? If yes, then how I can I sync it? 

Thanks,

Ana

Tagged:

Answers

• Hello Ana,

There is only a workaround to this problem.

1. Create a 'Selection' boolean in your module with value as TRUE

2. Create a 'time period' line element formatted as period (Apply this with User dimension if you wish)

3. Create a view which will act as a source for your graph, this view will have a filter Selection = TRUE

4. Create the graph and publish the graph to a dashboard

5. Now change the formula for the 'Selection' as item(time) = time period

(change the logic if you want a range of dates)

The graph will sync according to the selection in 'Time period' line item. 

Thanks

Arun

• Hi @ArunManickam ,

Thanks for your reply. I actually have a time filter which I used in my source module before publishing in the dashboard. It works for 2019 but if I select 2020, I get the attached error. Please see screenshots for 2019 and 2020 selection. ( I get same error if I select 2018). It only works for 2019.

Thanks,

Ana

• Hello Ana,

The trick is you have to publish the whole time scale with filter, but value as TRUE.

Then you change the formula on the time filter.

Thanks

Arun

• Hi @ArunManickam ,

It worked!! Thanks for your help 🙂

Regards,
    Ana

• A graph can only display time if the time period existed when you created and published it.

Another "tip" is to use an over extended time range of like 20 years, use it temporarily to create the graph and then change your module back to the normal time range.

• Hi Arun,

I was applying your solution to a model that I have built and had a follow-up question: 

In the "time period" line item, do you input a formula in here, or do you publish this line item to your dashboard and use it instead of a page selector?

Thanks!

Joe

• it should be published as a selector, although nothing stops you from putting a formula if you have one that makes sense (or you could link it with currentperiod() which is the current period set in the Time tab of the model)

• That makes sense.  Thanks!