Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Duncan Pearson - Designing for Performance and Scale

Could you provide some details, in layman terms, into the Platform architecture itself, how the in-memory engine functions/calculates, and why designing for performance and scale early on is so important? 

Community Manager

@bradley.sisson  Here is the link to the complete YouTube video that Duncan mentioned in his reply to your question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy9ZykyVTus&feature=youtu.be. 

Occasional Contributor

I have seen in the community where we been advised to retrieve calculationdirectly from the source module instead of the intermediate or calculated line item.

for eg Report Module

Revenue = Revenue. PnL

COGS= CGS.PnL

Gross Profit formula could be written as:

Method 1  Revenue-COGS

or Method 2 Revenue. PnL- COGS= CGS.PnL

The second approach  has been recommended as it does need to wait for line Revnue and COGS to be calculated.
My question is that in this method it seems the same calculation/retrieveing to be done twice. Is it really faster and more efficent?

Occasional Contributor

Few general questions to understand reasoning for the performance:

1) Does Anaplan support parrallel processing or its all sequential at the backend.

2) Does Anaplan support mulithreading?

3) Does Sparsity affects performance or only space?

4) Is there any difference when calculations are done in a list ie properties or in a module? Should we store values to be calculated in modules only and not in list porperties.

5) Does Number of  Hireachies has any impact on performance?

6) When a Model is open, does all the memory is loaded up or it depends on the modules you open? This question is from my background on TM1 where the perfromance is impacted by the cubes being loaded rather than the whole model.

Certified Master Anaplanner

What are some of the new features/functionality we can expect for a Hyperblock 2.0?

Not looking for any promises, just curious where you see the tech heading!

Contributor

Are we going to get more functionality for charting?  I really don't like having to show EXCEL charts with my Anaplan dashboard.

Community Manager

Duncan's video is now live! Watch the entire video from start to finish, or select the question topic you're most interested in from the drop down menu to begin there. Check back anytime to listen to the complete session. 

Thank you for your participation in the AMA! Watch for updates on the next session, featuring Will Sippl answering your questions on Workflow.