Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Frank Calderoni's 2020 Vision: The Future of Anaplan is Clear

Hi Frank - thanks for your leadership and for opening up an AMA.

You mentioned a future state with an app store of sorts targeted at offering countless API connections and integrations to source and target systems outside of Anaplan. I am wondering if the road map may include opening this up to be an exchange where 3rd party developers can build custom tools and integrations and then offer them on a system-wide app store? Perhaps even building in functionality on top of Anaplan itself (as some have already done with things like Chrome add-ins)? My thought is that it could encourage innovation around the platform, but that it is a large undertaking that may present risk to proprietary information....

George Heiler

Anavate Partners

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the question, @gheiler. Delivering a rich API and micro services framework in the Anaplan platform will enable our customers to seamlessly extend Anaplan with their current enterprise applications. This will also open up opportunities for next-gen App Hub.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you @frank_calderoni for getting back to me and for taking the time to give us visibility into the roadmap. It's an exciting journey and I think the power of a next-gen App Hub (microservices, API, integration across all major enterprise apps, and even point-solution templates) is an exciting prospect.  

Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Hi Frank,

Thanks for giving us an opportunity to interact directly with you. Would like to take this opportunity and ask a question about NUX. Since we are moving away from classic UI and inching towards full fledged NUX how confidently should we advocate New UX to our clients, considering there are a lot of things that are yet to come in NUX including drill down feature on Cell value and ALM functionality. Is this is time when we say we completely do away building UX in a classic way going forward?

Thanks,

Misbah

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the question, @Misbah. Our New UX has been built with a lot of user research that involves customer and market feedback. Our goal with the New UX is to make it intuitive, collaborative and engaging for all our users. End users have been our initial focus for the New UX, followed by model builders. We have a robust roadmap to deliver much more than just parity with our classic UX and we are on our way to achieving that in the near future.

Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

What an amazing opportunity to visit with you Frank. Thank you for opening up an AMA.

First, I just want to thank the Community leadership at Anaplan - this has got to be the best led Community Site I've ever worked with.

@emilydunn is amazing. And my understanding of Anaplan would be sub-optimal if it wasn't for @DavidSmith @rob_marshall @nathan_rudman @LipChean_Soh @ChrisMullen .

I seriously don't know how they find the time to answer so many questions but they do and the answers are super detailed. 

So thank you Frank for building and leading that team.

My question to you is whether the Anaplan sales team would ever consider building a CoE around a specific vertical like retail, wholesale, and e-commerce?

Right now, these types of implementation tend to fall under the supply chain horizontal but there's so much more than just supply chain.

I realize it's super competitive in the retail planning solution space but having implemented practically every planning tool for this industry I've found Anaplan to be the best-suited long term, particularly when you factor in the connected planning.

Seems there's a lot of room to grow in the retail industry in North America.

Thanks Frank. Keep up the good work and thanks again for building such an awesome Anaplan Community!

Jared Dolich
Highlighted
Contributor

@Jared Dolich, thanks so much for this great question. Retail is absolutely a key vertical for us and we are fortunate to be working with several global brands. A couple of weeks ago at NRF (National Retail Conference), we had Carter’s and L’Oreal join us for a panel discussion on how they view Anaplan as a key enabler of their digital transformation. Our industry go-to-market team is focused on building on this momentum by helping articulate the various ways Anaplan can add value for retailers. You are absolutely right that processes such as merchandising are inherently cross-functional and need to be channel agnostic – that is how we are approaching it as well, from a decision flow standpoint rather than disparate ‘modules’ that we see in the market. A key component of our industry GTM is our partner ecosystem – our partners bring deep industry knowledge and experience that we as a vendor are not always able to. We will continue to work with our partners to develop and take to market more such industry-specific offerings. Last year you probably heard me talk about some of these offerings – like the Commercial Planning solution for CPG we did with Deloitte – we look forward to executing more of these offerings this year with a lot more of our partners. If you have ideas or are interested in developing a joint industry offering, please reach out to Ara Gopal (ara.gopal@anaplan.com) who heads up our industry solutions team.

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi Frank - thanks for opening up the community and taking the time to interact - very cool!

In the video you speak about the mobile UX and "planning at the edge", which is really aligned to the trend of democratization of analytics and planning.  It is outstanding that Anaplan is focusing in this area.

However, there are two other areas I would be interested in understanding Anaplan's Point of View / Roadmap:

1.  Autonomous Planning / "Lights out Planning"
2.  Extending "connected planning" across an entire ecosystem / value chain - from suppliers through manufacturing through distribution and finally to end customer.

Thanks!

David McCarty
Anaplanner "Wanna-be" 😉
Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you for your support and I appreciate your questions, @davidmccarty. We are exploring many ways to incorporate automation capabilities as part of our Intelligent Anaplan strategy and logical repetitive tasks seem like a natural place to start. That could be a gateway to even deeper levels of automation like intelligent recommendations, which is key to human-machine augmentation. Our vision is to take it beyond the enterprise to deliver a connected ecosystem, which includes customers and suppliers where everyone collaborates in real-time to deliver better, faster decisions.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks @frank_calderoni for the response - will be exciting to see the incorporation of automation capabilities as well as extending "connected planning" to deliver the "connected ecosystem".

Thanks!