Hi All, I'm with Unum's FP&A area, and we are currently in the midst of our Anaplan implementation. As model building persists, one item that is on many of our minds is that of process reinvention.
Although its easy to see how Anaplan simplifies what is usually done in many strung together spreadsheets, Its important to re-think and reinvent the process and leverage the core strengths/functionalities that Anaplan brings to the table, rather than just plugging Anaplan into the old process.
What are ways that you have gone about approaching the aspect of process redesign for your Anaplan projects and how do you best leverage Anaplan to ultimately create effeciencies in the FP&A process. I would love to hear some of your input.
Thanks & I would be happy to connect offline!
It would be very difficult to capture everything in this message. Below are few pointers:
1) You can look at best practices in each specific area and try to incorporate most of them. There are tons of best practices in this community.
2) Start with a small POC and then move ahead in phases using Agile/Scrum way.
3) Always start with end product in mind and work backwards. Replicate the final dashboards in excel spreadsheet and think what lists and modules are required for it.
4) Get your Models evaluated by Anaplan parters/experts at regular intervals for sparsity, calculation time, formula analysis, best practices etc.
5) Have a sandbox environment and download standard content for a specific scenario and explore how the models were buit. There are 100s of Apps for each functional area.
We started in Jan 2017 and went live recently after following most of the above recommendations. But still feel there is lot of scope for improvement. Learning is a continuous process .... known is a drop and unknown is a ocean :-)