Does Anaplan allow different formula for each versions?

Hi!

For example I have 4 versions namely: Actual, Budget, Forecast 1 and Forecast 2. Does Anaplan allow different formula for each version I have in my module? Say, Actual version will have a different and unique formula with Budget, etc for the same modul.

Thanks for any help! 

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello,

In most of the models I've built, Actuals come from a different source than (other versions).  In this context, I often use formulas like:  IF ISACTUALVERSION() THEN  (get actuals) ELSE (get other versions).

Its increasingly common (recently) to see that we have data from three directions:

1. Actuals (from GL)
    2. Budget (very detailed bottoms-up annual plan)
    3. interim forecasts (high-level P&L and/or BS only... no detailed load)
    4. snapshots (might be the same as interim forecasts, but may be loaded into Anaplan differently (as a flat dataset, not as an input sheet)

I don't generally embed version names in formulas (except Actuals) (in fact, I avoid it at all costs).  So, in this case, I'll do something like the following:

1. Create a version mapping module where each version can be mapped to what type of process it uses
      1. For example, I might have three kinds of data (in addition to actuals):  "Detailed" and "Interim" and "Snapshot".  
      2. I like to use booleans rather than explicit... so the "Detailed", "High Level", and "Snapshot" will probably be boolean line items.
      3. Then, in my modules, I can say:  IF ISACTUALVERSION() THEN (get actuals) ELSE IF VersionMap.Detailed THEN (get detailed info) ELSE IF VersionMap.Interim THEN (get high level) ELSE (get snapshot)

By using the mapping, I can add a new version without having to update formulas... we just have to check a box.

Also, as versions come in and out of existence (this does happen at some clients) we, again, don't have to update any formulas.

The above is just an example, there are other ways to customize/manipulate how versions are mapped & referenced.

Cheers!

Paul

• Hi, didn't see your post, its a better response!
  • Hey @PaulRitner, I respectfully disagree. Your response was informative and on-point!

During Anaplan Launchpad trainings I always tout how active the Anaplan Community site is, so it brightens my day when I see customer questions getting multiple responses, representing different perspectives, informed by varied experiences, and with multiple examples.

@jsdeguzman, if you need anything else, you've got a couple of folks here happy to help.

Cheers,

Kevin

• Hi

Do we have any solution for the following scenario:

I have 4 versions , V1, V2, V3 and V4 and V1 is my actual version. Now for one line item, I want that line item to be an input for V3 and V4 and formula driven for V1 and V2.

Thanks for your help in advance!

• Hi!

I don't think there's a good answer for you.

However, consider the following:

1. If you are using Native Anaplan Versions, you can set the Formula Scope (for the line items) to Actuals Only (which would make the Actuals Version formula driven, and all other versions manual input.
    2. If you are using a (custom) versions list, then the line item either has a formula for all versions, or has no formula for all versions.

I've done some models in the past where we have two line items (one formula driven, and one manual input)… and they are hidden or visible based on which version is being worked with (using a line item subset based filter, I think… its been awhile, let me know if you want to explore this). Sometimes this approach isn't practical, depending on model size…