How to create a time filter module

This article provides the steps needed to create a basic time filter module. This module can be used as a point of reference for time filters across all modules and dashboards within a given model.

The benefits of a centralized Time Filter module include:

• One centralized governance of time filters
  • Optimization of workspace, since the filters do not need to be re-created for each view. Instead, use the Time Filter module.
  • Conforms with the D.I.S.C.O. methodology as a 'System' module.  More on D.I.S.C.O. can be found here.  

Step 1: Create a new module with two dimensions—time and line items. The example below has simple examples for Weeks Only, Months Only, Quarters Only, and Years Only.
TF_1.png

Step 2: Line items should be Boolean formatted and the time scale should be set in accordance to the scale identified in the line item name.

The example below also includes filters with and without summary methods, providing additional views depending on the level of aggregation desired.
TF_2.pngTF_3.png

Once your preliminary filters are set, your module will look something like the screenshot below. TF_4.png

Step 3: Use the pre-set Time Filters across various modules and dashboards. Simply click on the filters icon in the toolbar, navigate to the time tab, select your Time Filter module from the module selection screen, and select the line item of your choosing. Use multiple line items at a time to filter your module or dashboard view.
TF_5.png

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Yelena, 

Thanks for this article. Very useful.

Using your suggestion I was able to easily manage the changing of the Current Year in the saved filtered dashboards and views.

All works fine for the dashboard "table views": changing the Current Year and Current Period, automatically change the Months is the dashboards "table views" and also in the filtered module saved views.

However I've noticed that this does not work with charts based on filtered views that have CurrentYear months in the columns. After changing  the Current Year and Current period with another Year, I receive for the charts the message:  "Invalid selection for chart: see Charts".

The only way I found to see the data again was to re-create the chart from the scratch. But, this has to be done at every year changing.

Do you know a way how to avoid this.

I'm very knew with Anaplan and maybe I am missing something very obvious.

Many thanks,

Alex 

• Brilliant!  Thank you.  I was wondering if this could be done.

• We've used this capability many times but recently noticed that we cannot apply a Time Filter in a subsidiary view.  Is there a work-around?

• Hi Mitch

Yes since the we are seeing only for one lineitem it seems the lineitem is freezed in the filter. Currently the only option that can be seen is create a new module for such line items.

• @alexpavel  That's a great call out. One solution to dynamically filter charts outlined below:

Step 1) Adjust the time filter line item formula so that all time elements are "true" and all summary methods are on.

Step 2) Publish the chart with that time filter activated, so essentially all possible time periods should show up in your published chart.

Stop 3) Go back to the time filter formula and adjust the formula for your desired outcome (example - tweak the formula as needed, turn the summary methods off if you dont want them, etc.).

Step 4) Test the chart. The chart should then adjust dynamically according to the filter without the need to republish each time.