logo The Planual provides a systematic set of standards for model building on the Anaplan platform. The rules in it are designed produce the most efficient, usable, and scalable Anaplan models, while dramatically increasing performance for models in all contexts. We highly recommend that all model builders familiarize themselves with these standards, and start incorporating them into their model-building practices. (The results will be significant!)

Feel free to read from top to bottom to see how the rules fit together, or feel free to access only the rules that are most applicable to your specific application. For many rules, we have included links to additional rules and relevant articles in Community!

The Planual is an evolving document, and leverages years of experience and experimentation from internal Anaplan builders, customers, partners, and Master Anplanners. We welcome all feedback and suggestions!

Having trouble viewing the The Planual below? Click here to download a copy.

Comments

Hi!

3.10 says check in with end "uses" frequently.

I believe this should say "users".

It's on both page 5 and 42.

Cheers

Great document!!

Must read for beginner and intermediate model builders. This will build good habits and save you headaches later on. 

Can't stress the importance of naming conventions, blank list/module separators, and contents bar management. When you get building full speed, things get unorganized quickly.

If importing from databases or using number lists, always use a code or unique identifier.

If you are building out a model from the ground up, I highly recommend using a boolean time reference module to manage time filters.

Happy model building.

Planual has ~140 rules and ~25 exceptions. Some are common sense / vaguely general. It would be great to have a High Impact list of rules.

Grammar nitpick:  Replace "try and do X" with "try to do X".

Fantastic resource, @DavidSmith!

Is there any reason why best practice import file type has been omitted from the Planual?

I have always found that zipping files (particularly large transactional files) saves a lot of "upload" time but wondered if there was a reason against using it?

Best,

Callum

@CallumW 

No reason, and yes, it does save a bunch of time

It will be added for v2 - Thanks

David

Contributors
Latest Articles
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
a month ago
Labels (1)