Centralized User Security Model

Stacey_Gibbens
Certified Master Anaplanner

Centralized User Security Model

Hello and welcome to my first post within the Anaplan Community CoE forum! 

I received some very positive feedback on my HUB presentation from 2018 and wanted to share it with a wider audience.  With the genesis of the new CoE Group Hub, I hope we can all share hard-won knowledge and benefit from each other.  This is a hard job.  There’s no reason for it to be harder than it needs to be!

With that said, in 2014, I designed and built Simon Property Group’s User Configuration Model with some key conceptual help from Anaplan’s own @Mark_W_Shemaria.  The User Configuration Model is a centralized user management system that creates user accounts, provides functional role and any applicable hierarchy selective access to our multitude of user models, and then automatically disables the user account if a user is terminated.  It enables Simon’s Customer Support staff (help desk) to easily and efficiently manage security for 1,400 users in fifteen (15) end-user models without requiring elevated access (or any access at all) to the target end-user models. 

In this session recording, you will learn how Simon Property Group minimized risk, eliminated duplication of efforts, and produced consistent user security results throughout Anaplan models and between financial systems.  I hope you find it helpful! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O31bm2aX170&list=PLriarEWrPWWevy7vgQeSnD1bgGpLmsFSO&index=27

Stacey Gibbens   🙂

6 REPLIES 6
austin.call
Contributor

Re: Centralized User Security Model

I remember this Hub presentation and have adopted some of the things I learned in several different situations since. Thanks for sharing the info again! I love the work you did to create a model to perform this critical function, I hope that someday this functionality (consolidated/automated user management) will be centralized/standardized within the Anaplan Administration portion of the platform. In the meantime this is a very helpful, thought out, and detailed approach to a complicated problem. 

Stacey_Gibbens

Thanks, @austin.call! I’m happy it was helpful to you!
Beauram
Community Manager

This is incredible, Stacey. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise in this and (already) helping others in the ecosystem! 

This is no doubt a hot topic and I look forward to learning how others have adopted this for their CoE. 

Looping in @Audrey1 @SonalTripathi @obriegr @clarissa @Matthew_Kuo @rachel.bisch 

@Sarahjayne.Estrada to continue our dialogue from last week. 

Sarahjayne.Estrada

@Beauram, thank you for tagging me!

@Stacey_Gibbens , thank you for this post! Going to watch this video 🙂

Audrey1

Thanks Stacey! I will make sure to take a look as this is definitely something I'm interested in building.

Aaron.wasinger
Group Leader - Employee

Excellent presentation -- so many great ideas.  Thanks for sharing!