Requirements Gathering - Writing User Stories

No ratings

Writing user stories ranks at the top of critical project tasks. When the customer writes user stories, business subject matter experts (SME) sit down with the Scrum team to lay out user requirements – what the user community needs from the Anaplan platform so they can follow the business process. For example, a customer may be using the Anaplan platform to improve their sales forecasting process. The team needs to discuss all upstream and downstream processes within the sales forecasting process that Anaplan will impact. 

The customer documents requirements by producing user stories. A user story includes:

• Title
  • Description
  • Acceptance criteria
  • Tasks

The description should be as comprehensive as is possible. Model builders take user stories and build the model, set up processes and data feeds. If possible, include an Excel file to be used as a visual guide or template for what is required. 

When writing user stories, it is easier to put the work in early and create a good user story. You’ll find it more challenging to revisit a user story later in the project timeline. Write comprehensive user stories, however if the story starts getting long break it into separate pieces. In the next step, you’ll estimate how long it will take to build out that user story. If the user story isn’t well written, it will throw the estimating process off track.

User stories are usually written by a business SME in conjunction with someone from IT. Anaplan Business Partners and the project sponsor review the user story to ensure quality, accuracy, and business need.

User Stories.png

Notice the User Story Task list in the graphic above. The task includes things that need to get done in addition to the actual model build. All tasks take time and require resources that need to be estimated along with the actual model build. 

Typically, you can expect between 75 and 125 user stories in a project. Generating more than this range may indicate a need for a phased implementation.

Version history
Revision #:
3 of 3
Last update:
‎04-17-2017 08:36 AM
Updated by:

Comments
larissa_lowe

"The task includes things that need to get done in addition to the actual model build. All tasks take time and require resources that need to be estimated along with the actual model build" - 

- " In addition"?  Isn't it nonsense? Isn't a task is what actually needs to be done by the model builder to implement a user story, not "in addition to the actual model build"? Folks, this is misleading, and this article needs to be edited.

connor_obrien

Hi Larissa, I'm not sure I would call this "nonsense". In my experience, people often forget the secondary and tertiary processes and events that are necessary for a model to actually function. I like the task list as it is a friendly reminder to take a step back fromthe build itself and look at the larger picture. 

harrysatria

Hi Bob,

I have a concern regarding user stories.

My client already has a lot of excel files complete with the formulas.

Should they create user stories?

Thank you and kind regards,

Harry