Ability for summaries to only include the items which are visible after filtering

Details of Enhancement:
Enhance filters on a dashboard to update totals and subtotals in summary rows - when a filter is applied, the subtotal should update to sum only the filtered records

How this would help their business process:
When users see a filtered view, or adjust a filter, subtotals and totals can be misleading / not correctly represent what is on the screen

Tagged:
62 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Comments

• Status changed to: In Review
  • this is a great Idea and a mus to have

• This requires some considerable changes to the fundamentals of our calculation engine and has quite a high cost. We need to see more demand before we can add this to the roadmap and start work on this.

• 'Summaries for filtered items' is also one of the requirements I faced. I would also very much appreciate this feature.

• It's a heavy calculation workaround but often go with if not filter then Y else X as there's often more false than true.

But having it properly in the engine a bit like subtotal(9,[filter range]) in Excel would be very beneficial.

• I'm very much in favor of fixing this, and given the default functionality of displaying summaries on filtered grids without making it obvious to the end user that a grid is filtered (let alone how) and we have the potential for some very serious misunderstandings in reporting.

I'd assert that this needs to be at least band-aided with one or more of the following lighter-weight interim changes ASAP:

A. Do something (Shading/italicizing/etc.) to the dashboard grid / export output to indicate that a filter is present and that summaries may not be reproducible solely from the data reported.  Sensible approaches that come to my mind (by no means a comprehensive list, of course):

1. Italicize the summary values on the dashboard grid

2. Append an asterisk to summary values in the grid or export file

3. Bold the borders of a dashboard grid to give a visual cue that a filter has been applied.

B. Lock out display of summary values whenever a filter is applied that changes the number of cells that would contribute to their respective calculations (i.e., no need to lock out calculations for filters that don't touch a relevant dimension, e.g., Current User).

• A Subtotal like function in Summary is really what I am also looking for

• Definitely makes sense to have this functionality

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!