Add-Ins - Quickly Edit/Amend connections

As a model builder/user I would like to be able to quickly amend my connections so that they can easily be re-pointed  to different Workspaces and Models.

I will know that this is successful when I will be able to quickly change my connections and re-point to different workspace and models, perhaps with a functionality similar to what's available to re-point pages in the New UX.

Optionally it would be good if the Clone button had a 2nd option that could prompt users to select/confirm the required information (potentially up to module/view level) 

Alessio_Pagliano_0-1589361985170.png

Cases where this functionality could be particularly helpful :

1) Excel add-in where data reconciliation need to be executed on temporary development models and for which connectivity details need to be amended. This will save from time in re-creating the connections from scratch.  

2) When cloning a connection/tab in Add-In and for which the only difference between one tab and the other is the referenced model/workspace but where the underlying metadata is exactly the same (eg same query on multiple deployed models).  

1 votes

Delivered · Last Updated

Comments

• This is the same idea as this one and I am pleased to confirm it is on our roadmap

• Hi! Thanks for point this out, I couldn't find it while creating this one glad to hear it's already on the roadmap! I have upvoted the one you linked 👍 

• If you would like to see prototypes of this idea, join our add-in feedback group and sign up to a session about the future Excel add-in 4.0.

• Check out what's new in Excel Add-in 4.0

Please note you can only do one connection at a time. If you are interested in multiple connections at once, then either raise a new idea or let me know and I will change back the status of this idea to "Needs Community support"

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!