Add a simple formula builder to the platform

Hi,

I believe this would be a very impactful tool for model builders and power users. The idea is to help write or verify a formula. In its most basic form, the tool would auto-indent formulas just like in an app like xcode:

IF

X = Y

AND

BooleanVariable

THEN

VariableX[

LOOKUP : LineItem

]

ELSE

VariableY[

SUM : LineItem

]

A little version of that is already available in the drill-down functionality. In fact, I tell clients to use the drill-down functionality to check their formulas. If only the basic indentation of the drill-down menu would appear when you re-open the formula input field, already this would be a big improvement. Then if colors are added, it would make it even better. I suspect, doing this may require a level of syntax check as you enter the formula. This would go hand in hand with several other requests to check the syntax before submitting a formula, one of which is already on the roadmap:

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Alert-Model-Builders-of-Incorrect-Formulas-References...

A sort of formula builder that helps you structure a formula, analyze an existing large formula, and check the syntax would save a lot of time.

There are a few browser plug-ins circulating, to help with basic indentation of IF statements, which highlights the need for such a tool.

Thank you,

6 Comments
Community Boss

Love this suggestion @Ari !

Community Boss

We are looking at what we can do in this area!

Community Manager

Status changed to: Needs Community Support
Certified Master Anaplanner

There is a third-party chrome plugin available made by a french consulting company. I fully agree that this should be incorporated into the platform but untill that is the case the chrome plugin really works for me. It includes indentation and color coding and even fills your formulas (when you start typing). You can find it on: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/a%20-for-anaplan-model-buil/najhicgfojolaebaoccdbopmobcdhp... 

Community Boss

Can I just re-iterate that this plug-in is not officially supported

Community Manager

Status changed to: Under Investigation
Users Online
Currently online: 253 members 717 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: