Allow for line item subset to be more than just number formatted

Allow for line item subset to be more than just number formatted

Description of the enhancement required:

Line Item Subsets are often used to build filter modules, as an alternative to using the Show/Hide functionality. Using a Boolean against a Line Item Subset on a filter module makes it very easy to select which columns should be shown or hidden on a dashboard.

An example of the enhancement:
It would be great if you could add Line Items of all formats (not just number) to a Line Item Subset for this purpose. Perhaps you could utilize the Line Item Subset type field to setup certain Line Item Subsets to allow both number/non-number formats.

The content in this article has not been evaluated for all Anaplan implementations and may not be recommended for your specific situation.
Please consult your internal administrators prior to applying any of the ideas or steps in this article.
6 Comments
Previous Contributor

Status changed to: Considered for Future Roadmap

The restriction that the format is the same across all line items in a line item subset should apply only if a COLLECT() formula is used.

Community Boss

Hi, 

I totally understand the constraints of COLLECT() function.

But why COLLECT() should work only on NUMERIC linet items ? Why do not apply the summary property of non-numeric Line items ( ANY for boolean, FIRSTNONBLANK for boolean. texts , etc..)

In the below discussion there is also other reason that line-items subsets could be used also for non-numeric line items: create a dynamic filter to show-hide line-items in dashboard:

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Best-Practices-Forum/Dynamically-filtering-the-line-items-columns-i...

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

COLLECT() could work on any line item subset where all line items in the subset are of the same semantic* type. The summary type of the source line item would be used where applicable.

* Semantic type adds more detail to the datatype where applicable, i.e. which list, or which period granularity.
e.g. a line item formatted as list A has datatype 'List', and semantic type 'List: A'.

Dan

Community Boss

Thanks Dan for explanation. 

However, my first goal into accepting in line items subset the non-numerical formatted line-items was to be able to create a system to dynamically show-hide columns  in a dashboard, similar with grouping columns from Excel and not to be able to use the COLLECT() function. :)

Now this can be done only for numeric line-items creating a separate module with the subset and boolean line-items, but I think it would be really cool to have it also for non-numeric line-items

For me it would be acceptable that for non-numeric line-items selected in a subset, if used in a module with COLLECT() function, to receive the result 0 or null or 'NaN'.

What do you think ?

Thanks

Alex

Community Boss

We could use this in cases where COLLECT() is not used

• Version Formulae
  • DCA on line items (commonly requested since DCA was launched)
  • Used for mapping with LOOKUP and SUM to map between lists members and line items