Conditional Formatting on Booleans

As a model Builder I would like to use Booleans as a Basis for Conditional formatting. 

For example. I have a Boolean/ Checkbox which indicates that not all fields in a new Item/ setting has been filled. I would like to be able to use that boolean directly instead of reverting to a number. 
The advantage would be to save on workspace size,

64 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Miran
    edited November 2022
  • NoahJ
    edited November 2022

I agree with this request, as a boolean would lend itself nicely to a 2 color formatting rule (eg. true = green, false = blue) and it would avoid having to having to create an essentially duplicate line item (IF bool THEN 1 ELSE 0) solely for the conditional formatting. I have found myself wishing for it often.

• adam_bimson_5
    edited November 2022

I was just about to request this.  This would be really useful as there are instances where you have to start to create line items with a large cell count to achieve it.

I would suggest that we still need to be able the minumum/mid-point/maximum inputs so that we can have a bit of control over the exact coloiur associated with a true or false. 

• I agree with this request. Having to have a dummy line item for such a simple use is a massive waste of space.

• JaredDolich
    edited November 2022

Ditto. I'm sure Booleans are more efficient too.

• nick_barker
    edited November 2022

Currently if you want to apply a conditional format based on a Boolean value you have to create an additional line item which you then have to put an if statement to test whether it is true or false and return a numeric value more often than not a 1 or 0. It would be more efficient if you could apply a conditional format to a boolean using the underlying 1 or 0 based on the TRUE or FALSE result of the tick box. This would be a great extension to the NUX capabilities which are a significant improvement in terms of look over the classic dashboard.

• Miran
    edited November 2022
  • Tiffany.Rice
    edited November 2022

I've often through this!!!  Much of our use of conditional formatting is TRUE/FALSE based so it would greatly simply setup for us if using Booleans was an option.   I think it would also help with auditability.  Thanks for suggesting @nick_barker 

• M.Kierepka
    edited November 2022

Hi, thumbs up for idea, it would reduce complexity, space usage, and development time, as well as speed up of the models.

Possible duplicate of https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Conditional-Formatting-on-Booleans/idi-p/39299, can we have it merged ( @Miran )?

• Miran
    edited November 2022

Hi @M.Kierepka,

These ideas have been merged.

• alexpavel
    edited November 2022

Agree. It would avoid creating a numeric format Line-item with formula If Boolean then 1 else 0... 

• PuneetKumar
    edited November 2022

+1 for this,  would really be helpful in reducing the size

• m.angeles11
    edited November 2022

Great idea. 

There have been so many times that I've had to create number formatted line items even though a Boolean flag exists just to be able to use conditional formatting.  This would not only save on space but also save module development time for modellers.  

I think one of the product development goals should be to try and automate or make more efficient the mundane modelling tasks so that model builders can remain focussed and engaged on the more important, interesting, and challenging aspects of model building. 

• nick_barker
    edited November 2022

What is the tipping point for support before development pick the idea up and investigate?

• nsitterl
    edited November 2022

In the Level 2 model building training there is a task to build a view where conditional formatting is used for "forecast cf" and it would be perfect for a boolean type. The boolean version uses lesser memory so I investigated why conditional formatting is not working with booleans and came across this request from almost four years ago. There has to be good reasons why this has not been implemented. I am eager to learn why it is is not possible to add this functionality in Anaplan. 

• Alice1006
    edited November 2022

Totally agree!

I am also supporting this enhancement since a lot of conditional formating rules are based on booleans. This would save a lot of development efforts and model size if we don't have to create duplicate number formatted line items anymore.

• +1 also, would be much more practical

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!