Create a Roles List That Can Be Referenced in Modules

Having a Roles list that is auto-generated and able to be leveraged in modules would be very helpful.  For example, in certain system/admin modules we assign read/write drivers on partiucular line items.  Currently, the users list is leveraged to dynamically change the access via a formula and an import.  However, having the ability to use a roles list and being able to leverage that list in an admin/system module controlling security features would be very helpful.  

33 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Status changed to: New
  • This would be especially helpful for models that have a lot of users.... My company would definitely make use of this feature if implemented!!! 

I should say that we do get around this by making use of lookup tables between the native Users list and a functional role assignment populated from a User Security Configuration model. This assumes uniform functional roles across the environment. But, it's cumbersome. And increases model size. There could be a behind-the-scenes lookup, for use in dynamic cell access, and that would be so cool.

I'm going to try and get this some more attention!  Thanks for suggesting it. 

Stacey

• @Stacey_Gibbens Yes, that would be a lot easier. Great idea! Makes total sense.

• Indeed...any solution which could help to "group users" it's welcome. Roles are one option. 

• The lack of a Roles list means that we have to manually create a list to replicate the functionality that is often required for setting things such as DCA etc. The Role needs to also be a system property of the Users list automatically in that way we can avoid the creation of a separate user list and link this to our manually created Roles list.

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!