Line Item format periods model builder able to limit rather than the model's maximum options

Problem: Formatting a line item to a time period, and selecting "Month" as the period results in all available Months in the model. This makes it so that if you have a multiple year model, the end user can select a period that extends beyond the time they are able to show impact (past), or in other instances attempt to make changes to a future state that is outlandishly far out (10 year forecast number direct adjustment at year 10)

- End users are complaining about seeing Prior Year months when they are forecasting was the catalyst for the post, but I obviously was able to come up with an additional scenario that could be applicable to the change.

Temporary solution(s): 1) Tough, deal with it, and select reasonable time slots. 2) Build a 'fake' drop down list, and hide values on the back end that correlate to the field to limit users ability to manipulate - downside, it is not very sustainable/easy to overlook during model roll over. 3) Build a numbered list like 2, but have the display name built around the current time - downside is it is somewhat complex to set up/not intuitive - not audit-able

Ideal solution: When selecting time period as a line item format, you also have a drop down that allows selection of Time Ranges built into the model, which would filter out all other options that don't fit inside the available option OR have the ability to reference another line item formatted as a boolean that has a time element which allows for more flexibility of the builder to create a formula to limit the displayed periods.

3 Comments
Community Manager

Status changed to: Needs Community Support
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Very good point!. 

I think it would be enough if for "Time" based list it will be made available the "Dependent" flag with the same functionality as for the "normal lists".

Normal Month using "Time" formatted list cannot be filtered for the current year months. 

alexpavel_0-1582109048024.png

Indeed, the only workaround is to use a "dummy month" normal list using the same elements present in Time and use "Dependent" option, so the users will have the same "look & feel"...but technically it will be a normal list that can be "transformed" quite easily in Time List.  

This way you can filter only the current year months (for example)

alexpavel_1-1582109285621.png

Certified Master Anaplanner

As I was looking at my current work around. It only functions if you use a process to load in the end users entries. Otherwise when you switch the model YoY all of the entries will shift forwards a year, which can have catastrophic repercussions. Which makes this even more of an import request.

See below for my work around, and the result. The module that is using the list to generate a submission load, that the user presses a process button and pushes the entry into the data source module and clears the entry if it was processed. Again, complex, but works for this models purposes.

obriegr_0-1582143190025.pngobriegr_1-1582143275818.png

obriegr_2-1582143304870.png

Resulting module (if the end user changes their mind, or needs to update the loaded data, which still has the full length of time the model is set for:

obriegr_3-1582143514317.png for demonstrative purposes, effective month is noted as initial month here

Users Online
Currently online: 157 members 615 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: