Relabel the time dimension

2»

Comments

• DavidSmith
    edited December 2022

@david.savarin 

We are releasing functionality to allow you to change the 2 letter prefix for the time labels - This is due in August

On the wider relabelling question, I want to look at the alias concept across the whole model; I think there would be benefits for "labels" for all model structures, not just the timescales (although we could start there)

David

• Alessio_Pagliano
    edited December 2022

I'm a super fan of wider labels/aliases across the entire model. Glad to hear it's still on the radar!

• david.savarin
    edited December 2022

Awesome that we can now relabel years labels

• vicky_ascencio
    edited December 2022
  • Alessio_Pagliano
    edited December 2022

Hi @DavidSmith ,

What's just been delivered is certainly a good step forward and I can see how it would help some customers.

However, further to my original idea I'm also attaching a diagram to help clarifying this idea further.

Anaplan_Time_Idea.JPG

Could you confirm if this is already in the pipeline and/or if I misunderstood what's been delivered ?

@vicky_ascencio  , I noticed you changed the status of this idea to "Delivered", depending on what David says I would amend it accordingly.

Thanks,

Alessio Pagliano 

• Hayk
    edited December 2022

This is smth which'll help us a lot! 

We use custom week labels, which is critical for business. It makes us build intermediate modules on real timescale to run time functions and map back to fake timescale reports. 

Thanks,
    Haik

• mnishibu
    edited December 2022

Hi @david.savarin  san,

This is Nishibu from Japan.

Time scale format is fixed as "Mon YY" when uses Month scale. Most Japan customers are not familiar with that format. Then relabel functionality is definitely valuable for many Japan customers.

Thanks

• Buhagim
    edited December 2022

Guys - we definitely need this ability / flexibility for our corporate reporting.

I call it Aliasing - but relabelling is equally valid description. Think about it like this:- 

In a corporate world we are dealing with two or three types of stakeholder. 

1. Real calendar time users require the columns of information to appear by month so they might see progress across time - perhaps multipe years. This appears to be the default time line that Anaplan has delivered. 
    2. Financial reporting is different.
      • The management and accountants see reports independent of the calendar month and are fixed in a corporate reporting time base. i.e. if the organisations accounts are from April to march then they would see columns of data by period (P1 equating to April, P2 to May etc).
      • This means quarters are tied to periods based on the financial year start i.e. Qtr1 is P1,2,3 not Jan, feb and mar.
      • To add to this they require the financial year to be included in the heading alongside the period. P1 by itself is meaningless unless it also states P1 FY 19/20 or P1 FY20/21. This format is the one I urgently need the system to auto produce. 
    3. Dynamic headings - similar to item 2 BUT....
      • Many calculations refer to comparisons with prior period or prior year - which is fine if your report is fixed in time i.e.  i report in May so prior period is Apr and next period is |Jun.
      • However when I report in June my prior period is May and next period July. The time headings should reflect this and change to Pn FY YY/(YY+1) without having to modify a static text header. I need the system to sort out the headings correctly based on the Pn YY/YY format and be able to change the heading automatically under programme control. Similar to a date field in Excel where you increment the period and Year in teh heading using an equation 

For what its worth the corporate time base above would be the standardised one used across the model - so we could set it as a systems policy - unlikely that we would use both types 1 and 2.

Hope this gets the point across - let me know if you need more 

Mike

• PhilippErkinger
    edited December 2022

It says this is delivered? Certainly not…

• SakshamBansal
    edited December 2022

Upvote. Certainly a very useful idea, we need this.

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!