Show 'referenced by' also for saved views

We use frequently saved views to import data from a source module into a list or other modules.

A great challenge is to understand where these saved views are used, it is particularly challenging when you import data across models. The only current way is to go through the import sources of each model or use the business map. However, both doesn't offer a user friendly option if you have many models connected (like with the Data Hub).

As a model builder I would like to see a'referenced by' for each saved view to efficiently maintain data lineage, assess the impact of changes and manage imports across models. This could be developed as an additional tab in the modules section. Look and feel can be similar to the Import data sources (which are also across models).

9 Comments
Certified Master Anaplanner

Absolutely crucial IMHO.

I would also like Anaplan to automatically save views and  graphs as they are published on dashboards - I'm sure there are existing ideas for these type of requests.

Community Manager

Status changed to: Needs Community Support
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

What a great idea! Being able to see where a view is referenced would help also with audit and continue developing on existing model.

Community Manager

Status changed to: Under Investigation
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Hi @PhilippErkinger 

I am not sure if would be very readable the "referenced by" of the sources or how can be organized, but I support this because it would be really helpful to be blocked from the deletion of a "saved view" if it is used as a source in an import action, especially when it is used in a cross model integration. 

Now, the only way is to organize the saved views with a naming convention that would indicate it is a source in some integration. 

Contributor

I think it would be really helpful if we could have a saved view tab in each model that could show what each saved view is being used for, whether it's for an action to another model or if it is being used for an export. It is hard to track down what saved views are used in other models, especially, and can make clean up difficult since there is no easy way to get that info now!

Community Manager

Status changed to: Needs Community Support
Community Boss

Great idea @dgregs  - also has been raised here;

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Show-referenced-by-also-for-saved-views/idi-p/45998

@Miran  can we please merge ideas?

Hoping we can see this idea implemented soon!

Community Manager

Hi @CallumW

The ideas have been merged.

Users Online
Currently online: 69 members 390 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: