enable/disable Action Button based on condition

Controling action button using on preset validation.Controling action button using on preset validation.

As a modeller, I want to have control over the dashboard button to enable/disable based on the specific conditions. So that I can control valid seletions in filters.

Tagged:
52 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Comments

• Stan
    edited November 2022

Thanks for the idea, we are setting it to "Acknowledged" and encourage the Community to ask questions, provide feedback, and gather additional support via kudos.

• StaceyBrooks
    edited November 2022

This would be very useful.

We had a need to require users to enter specific information prior to allowing them to run an export process. I was able to build a workaround using modules with binary (boolean) logic that would only generate a blank file when the export was run if the users did not enter the information requested prior to running the export button. 

• Rebecca
    edited November 2022
  • In some cases I want to be able to ensure a user has done certain actions before they click a button, because clicking the button out of order may create a problem.  

I'd like the ability to set a formula that determines when a button is clickable or not.  This is pretty normal stuff in most any other programming language, it would be nice to have similar capabilities in Anaplan without having to craft clunky workarounds.  

This should be ANY button, an import action, export, process, navigation etc.  

• Miran
    edited February 2023
    Status changed to: New
  • Manuela_Apostol
    edited November 2022

I also come across the same point, and more as a request from the client. Although, validation messages are turned on and technically we will prevent the action to create new elements based on filters, still, will be more visual if the action button will be turning from grey to blue once conditions are met. A great improvement which I support! Good idea @deepakammanna 

• Gwen.pryor
    edited November 2022
  • vicky_ascencio
    edited November 2022
  • jason.howard
    edited November 2022

Resurrecting this suggestion as I am coming across this in quite a few conversations where customers are asking for these types of requests - sort of how you can complete a purchase without a CVV number for the credit card.  Conditional formatting and DCA will "warn" to an extent but tying the action button to a cell would be great

• dameyer01
    edited November 2022

In our ICM model, we have a quota acknowledgment process that "stamps" the displayed quota value and the "acknowledged date" (which the user enters manually) via an import action. As the model builder, I would like to leverage some kind of DCA on the action/process that would disable the button unless certain criteria are met, in this case, ISNOTBLANK(Acknowledged Date).

• Farooqkamal1
    edited November 2022

We have a dashboard were users have to select and enter and interact with multiple grids on the dashboard and when everything is done then they have to run an action as per the req. But I don't have the ability to restrict users from running the action without completing all the steps.   

We have a Conditional Formatting and "Error message" line item which points to user to finish all the steps but its not solid solution to the problem, I want to have the ability to  "enable/disable based on the specific conditions"

• Alessio_Pagliano
    edited November 2022

I think this is very much needed. It would be great if there was a similar but additional option to hide/display the button as well. 

• BryanM
    edited November 2022

+1

I have an incentive compensation management model where salespeople submit billing claims through the tool. They must include certain criteria in order for the claim to be eligible to be processed for commission payment. Would be great to be able to leverage DCA on the "submit" process button.

• BCSFB
    edited November 2022

+1 

I support your idea @deepakammanna 👍

I absolutely agree with the previous contributors. Two of my clients have also asked for this functionality. My workaround was to highlight all fields with conditional formatting, providing validation messages and KPI's to the process. One customer wanted to at least have an error displayed in the process screen if no element was generated, as they felt it was misleading if the process was shown as "completed" with green progress bar even though no element was generated. For this purpose, I subsequently added an action that produced the desired result. Nevertheless, I do not consider it compliant with best practise to build a process more complicated than necessary. 

• vgibson
    edited November 2022

I work at HPE and this would definitely be useful for a lot of different use cases. One example is we have implemented a workflow process where certain fields are mandatory in order to submit for approval or move to the next step in the workflow. I have put conditional formatting and messaging on the dashboard but it would be a lot better to disable the submit button if not all required fields are populated. It's very confusing from an end user perspective that the button is allowed to be pressed and the messaging says successful even though nothing is saving

• traynham
    edited November 2022

+1

This is a great suggestion.  For our ICM use-case, this would definitely be useful.  Similar to @BCSFB we have a rather complex web of DCA, conditional formatting, and logic, which effectively prevents the action being run prematurely, but the visual indicator of the button color would be intuitively helpful for end-users, especially since it "appears" that something is happening when the button is run, regardless if anything is actually happening.

• abhay.kanik
    edited November 2022

+1

Very important features as many users miss to follow the instruction and run the action anyways which made them think they have completed the action.

Action can be enabled/ disabled on a a condition

• mmoloney
    edited November 2022

+1

We have a need to disable a button to approve a journal if the journal approver is the same as the journal creator. It would be nice to have a boolean line item which does this check and drives the ability to run the action/button.

• It would be great if we could - based on a boolean line item for example - to disable an action button.

For example if an action should not be launched when missing some data a validation button would be displayed but disabled (shaded or greyed out).

• RAJASEKAR
    edited February 2023

My use case:

On the NUX page where a file is uploaded, my client wants to track who uploaded the file and when it was uploaded.  I have built a date selector in the dashboard where the user will select a date and upload the file. NUX gives us the option to see the history of an input cell and hence this serves the requirement. My only issue is with what happens when a user does not select the date and still runs the action. I have no way to track that particular upload. It would be great if there is an option to disable the import process button on the page when the date selector is empty! 

My workaround: 

Currently my workaround is to make the import into two steps. First upload the file, then import it into a second module which will serve as the data source for calculations. During this second import, I will generate an empty saved view within Anaplan and import that when the date field is empty on the dashboard.

However, this isn't ideal since there is a chance the user would think the file is uploaded when it actually isnt. The best way for me is to introduce a DCA like option for Action buttons in NUX. 

• wwood
    edited February 2023

Another vote for this functionality, this would make actions/decisions more useful.

• rueldsouza
    edited February 2023

This would be extremely helpful for users. It is a very standard and intuitive practice for users to have action buttons disabled until all inputs are valid. Currently, we show them validation warnings in a grid/card before they run the process. If the user still goes ahead and runs the process we fail it at the start. However, this can be quite annoying for users.

• rueldsouza
    edited February 2023

This would be extremely helpful for users. It is a very standard and intuitive practice for users to have action buttons disabled until all inputs are valid. Currently, we show them validation warnings in a grid/card before they run the process. If the user still goes ahead and runs the process we fail it at the start. However, this can be quite annoying for users.

• rueldsouza
    edited February 2023

• rueldsouza
    edited November 2022

This would be extremely helpful for users! It is a very standard and intuitive practice for users to have action buttons disabled until all inputs are valid. Currently, we show them validation warnings in a grid/card before they run the process. If the user still goes ahead and runs the process we fail it at the start. However, this can be quite annoying for users.

• Philippe
    edited November 2022

+1

I have a some action buttons to load files in modules and DCA modules to mark specific line items in these modules as read. When this done, I would like to make the action buttons disabled so that it would be much more visible and understandable for users, instead of a module displaying texts such as "Impossible to load now" for example.

Thank you

• Philippe
    edited February 2023

+1

Thank you @cmaurice for this request.

I have a some action buttons to load files in modules and DCA modules to mark specific line items in these modules as read. When this done, I would like to make the action buttons disabled so that it would be much more visible and understandable for users, instead of a module displaying texts such as "Impossible to load now" for example.

Thank you

• deepakammanna
    edited November 2022

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update the users on this thread. Ananplan has introduced a feature on NUX page.
    We can now control Processes & Actions basesd on a driver line item.

deepakammanna_0-1668440058856.png

• dameyer01
    edited November 2022

@deepakammanna- Thank you for calling this out! This is huge!

• Thanks for pointing this one our @deepakammanna - you're correct, this has now been delivered against action buttons on UX pages.

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!