nth occurrence text function - finds nth time a character occurs in a string

nth occurrence text function - finds nth time a character occurs in a string

I would like the ability to use a function that allows me to search for the nth time a character or string of characters occurs in a concatenated key.

Currently, we import text string keys from source systems and derive business information from these strings. For instance, we might have the transaction key Customer123_ProductQ_RegionSW_PeriodQ1 (123_Q_SW_Q1). However, the customers, products, regions, or periods might not have the same text length every time/different variables might have the same text (if Product is SW and Region is SW), which makes using a combination of RIGHT, LEFT, MID, FIND, etc embedded in each other complex/difficult to maintain in order to extract this information to columns. However, if I were able to have a function like NthOccurrence(Name(Item('TransactionKey')), "_", 2) to find the beginning position of Region, our formulas would be clearer/easier to maintain.

The content in this article has not been evaluated for all Anaplan implementations and may not be recommended for your specific situation.
Please consult your internal administrators prior to applying any of the ideas or steps in this article.
2 Comments
Community Manager

Status changed to: Needs Community Support
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?