Can one control the order of a Module Export to Singular Columns?

Hi there, I need to get a very specific order to my Export to Tabular Singlular Columns.  Right now I cannot seem to control the order of columns that comes out.  Is this possible to do? Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Answer

• Hello,

You can set the order of your export by rearranging the order of the line items in the module blueprint.  As you shift line items around, the Export by Tabular Single Column will adjust to export the line items in that order.

Regards,
    Alec

Answers

• I need to do something slightly different now... I only have a single Line Item in this module, and I need to control the order in which the columns of the Dimensions appear when I export the Module... can this be done?

Thanks!
  • Gideon

If you export using the Grid layout, the order of dimensional columns as displayed in the pivot will be used in the export file.

For example, if I arrange the pivot as:
    [th]MODULE NAME
    [/th]
    [th]Line Item
    [/th]
    [th]
    [/th]
    Versions
    Product List Customer List
    The export file will take the form:
    [th]
    [/th]
    [th]
    [/th]
    [th]Actual
    [/th]
    [th]Budget
    [/th]
    [th]Forecast
    [/th]
    Product A Customer X 11 21 31
    Product A Customer Y 12 22 32
    Product B Customer X 13 23 33
    Product B Customer Y 14 24 34
    If I rearrange the pivot by switching Product List and Customer List:
    [th]MODULE NAME
    [/th]
    [th]Line Item
    [/th]
    [th]
    [/th]
    Versions
    Customer List Product List
    The export will take the form:
    [th]
    [/th]
    [th]
    [/th]
    [th]Actual
    [/th]
    [th]Budget
    [/th]
    [th]Forecast
    [/th]
    Customer X Product A 11 21 31
    Customer X Product B 13 23 33
    Customer Y Product A 12 22 32
    Customer Y Product B 14 24 34
    Does this work as required?
  • Hi, thanks for this suggestion... Unfortunately it does not work in Single Tabular format (which is the format required)

If I do it using Grid mode, I get too many pages of data (well, more than one page is already too many pages for what we need!)

Any other ideas?  If not, then I think this should be an enhancement request.

Regards,

Gideon
  • Hi Gideon,

"Not-quite-sure" what exactly you want to appear in the export file, based on "not-quite-sure" what you have by way of dimensions set up in your single-line-item source module--would be best to have a look at the source module and a mock-up of what you want to show in the export.

Otherwise, my understanding of the export layout options for module export from normal (not blueprint) module view is: (i) Grid layout is designed to preserve the grid layout you see--after sorting, filtering, pivoting--in the source--here a module--before you export; (ii) Tabular Single Column is designed for a single data columns in the export file, again with peservation of sorting, filtering; (iii) Tabular Multiple Column is designed for multiple data columns in the export file, with an additional option to filter based on a Boolean control.

Can you sent us your model or some clone of it with some proxy of the source module and a mock-up of just what you want to see in the output file and we can perhaps try to do it for you?

Chris
  • I figured out the way Anaplan generates the order of Singular Column exports. Columns are exported left to right in order they appear from top to bottom in your general lists.  So a way to control the export columns is to go to your general lists and rearrange them on how you want the export to be.

This is severly flawed.  It's too easy and necessary to rearrange your lists logically, and if you have multiple developers in Anaplan, lists can constantly be rearranged by anyone. "Oh that makes sense to move"

• I also found that I cannot re-order subset of lists; it doesn't change when I changed the order of the (parent) lists.