Product Allocation in Anaplan

Seshu
edited February 2023 in Modeling

Hi Team,

I want to understand how Product allocation happens in Anaplan.

Lets say, I have P1, P2, P3 upto P10 products under a Parent called PRC1. Now I have some amount at P5, while allocating this P5 amount has to be taken to its immediate parent which is PRC1 and it PRC1 has to allocate this amount to all of its Lev0 members(P1, P2.etc)  based on some basis. I am eagerly looking solution for this requirement.

Please help on this.

Thank you,

Seshu Desai

Answers

• Hi @Seshu

I want to make sure I understand your inquiry.

are you saying you have 10 different products -for example - In a list with a common parent. The total “amount” of the Products is say 1000. Assume that 1000 is initially divided equally amongst the product with 100 for each.
    you want to redistribute this 1000 amongst the products while maintains the total value  of 1000.

so if P5 amount was reduced to 10 then the remaining 90 would be distributed to the other 9 Products.

this is just an example, let me know if I understood your question correctly.

• Hi Ibrahim,

Thanks for your queries on my question. If you see the below image, i have a PTG_OTH is the product under PRC1 parent. Where  PTG_OTH having 1000$.

PRC1

P1

P2

P3

P4

PTG_OTH       1000$

P6

P7

P8

P9

P10

While allocating, PRC1 has to consider this amount and allocate to its childrens with some basis(lets say some equal distribution for now).

How allocation should happens here I want to understand. Please let me know if you want more explanation on my requirement

Thanks you,

Seshu Desai

• @Seshu 

Why would PRC1 distribute the amount -$1000- on it’s children? The $1000 belongs to PTG_OTH only. The default behavior -since you are not looking to redistribute the total as in my previous question- is that PRC1 will aggregate the values of all its children.

if you mean to ask how will PTG_OTH distribute The amount over its own children,  then that’s a different story. after all,  “Allocate” means distributing a certain resource on a finite number of entities. 

I guess we need to agree what is the resource you are trying to allocate ($1000)? And what are the finite entities. 

I’m happy to try again if I get more clarification 😊

• I reallly appreciate your effort in addressing my question. 

Why would PRC1 distribute the amount -$1000- on it’s children? The $1000 belongs to PTG_OTH only. The default behavior -since you are not looking to redistribute the total as in my previous question- is that PRC1 will aggregate the values of all its children.
    In my customer requirement, there is some data sitting at PTG_OTH which has to consider by its parent PRC1, and later the same value has to distribute(equal distribution) to a certain finite number of entities under PRC1 children.

if you mean to ask how will PTG_OTH distribute The amount over its own children,  then that’s a different story. after all,  “Allocate” means distributing a certain resource on a finite number of entities. 

I guess we need to agree what is the resource you are trying to allocate ($1000)? And what are the finite entities. 
    1000$ is the resource I am trying to allocate to the finite entities of PRC1 children

Thank you

Seshu Desai

• New to anaplan, so not the solution. Just trying to rephrase the question. The data to be allocated is captured in one of the children like a dummy member(PTG_OTH). From an aggregation perspective, either only PTG_OTH rolls up or all the children excluding PTG_OTH rolls up to the parent. Thats my understanding. So i guess, the confusion is does PTG_OTH need to get an allocated value or is it just a dummy member to capture the total to be allocated.

• Hi @Seshu 

1. Take a look at this post and see if it would help you
      https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Anaplan-Platform/Inputting-product-mix-via-a-dashboard/m-p/71267#M14084 
    2. Download the model Planning, Budgeting, and Forecasting for SaaS from the App Hub and check the dashboard Annual Plan - Cascade Booking by Stream.
      There is a grid that could also help you