Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Designating Sales Reps to Accounts Process Questions

I am new to Territory and Quota use case. I tried finding out the difference between Sales Account Target and Quota i read some conflicting definitions online. Could I get some clarity on how each are defined in the Unicorn Candy company?

ndoddama_1-1589245898149.png

Highlighted
Community Boss

@ndoddama   Their quota is set by position and tenure, this is the amount a rep is expected to achieve.  It will be calculated by looking at their position and tenure and gives each rep a goal to meet.    The target in this case is the total amount of sales expected by adding up all of their assigned accounts. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@ChrisMullen 

Hi, I have a question about the standard of determining a person's length of service.

If a person works since 2018/09/01, and today is 2020/01/01, should we say he worked for 1-2 years, or should we round it up to 2 years?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hi @RongF,

I actually had discussion with my colleague about this lately. It depends how you calculate "Completed Years".

I think that if 2 full years did not pass, my result is 1-2 years.

My further results were aligned with what was shown later on "Check your build" section.

Hope this helps! 

Highlighted
Certified Master Anaplanner

Hi Unicorn Candy Company,

I am not familiar with the Net Commissions % term. How is this calculated? How does this affect the final commission payout (if at all)?

Additionally, is tenure being calculated based on a length of time from Jan 2020 or the current month (May)?

Thanks,
Jenn

Highlighted
Community Boss

Hi @jruder 

We want to be able to use the data to help forecast our commissions to our Finance team.  When we are talking about our Net commission, we want to take the Commission % multiplied by their attainment %.  

Everything in your model should be calculating off of January 2020.  

-Chris 

Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

@ChrisMullen 

Just to add to @jruder question about commissions to finance:

• Is Finance expecting us to map the commission forecasts to any specific general ledger account?
  • Does Finance expect some other format?

Jared Dolich
Highlighted
Community Boss

The Finance team is using the model build out in Level 1 , the format should include the Reps Code and their monthly commission.
Highlighted
New Contributor

So are we being asked to pay our sales reps a bonus or a commission?  Misleading as a commission is a rate or percentage of revenue and a bonus is a fixed amount with rate based on attainment.  The terms themselves are often misused and confused.  Attainment and quota are non factors for commissions as it is a rate determined by sales ops.  Bonus on the other hand is a rate derived from on target earnings and attainment of a quota.  I'll provide an example below and re-asked my question.

Commission =  20% of revenue (rate determined by territory manager) 

Bonus = $200k on target earnings (determined by territory manager) at 100% attainment of a $1M quota (determined by territory manager) = 20% ($1M / $200k and calculated by the system)

This two examples might seem like they are the same rate but they are calculated in vastly different methodologies.  Commission is a rate input by the user and for bonus the end user inputs on target earnings and quota then the rate is calculated by the system.  So are we being asked to build a system to calculate the rate based on user inputs of bonus and quota?  Or are we being asked to let territory managers input the commission rate?  If it is the latter I am not sure why we need quota and attainment in the model?  Quota would just = target and attainment does not drive any calcs. 

Thanks! 

Highlighted
Community Boss

I am unsure what your question is.  Do you misunderstand how you are to calculate the commission or are you just upset because of the term that is used?