Level 1 Model Building

Audience: Model Builders

Summary: In this course, you will learn the foundational Anaplan concepts and technical model building skills that you need to constructively participate in an Anaplan implementation. This is a hands-on course; where you will build a Finance model for Unicorn Candy Company. This course is supported by over 50 micro-lessons (5-10 minutes in length) on an assortment of topics to help you build your first model.

Course Objectives: By the end of this class, you’ll be able to:

• Identify the elements of DISCO (Data, Input, System, Calculation, and Output) in a model schema. 
  • Build a model in Anaplan that includes modules, lists, line items and hierarchies. 
  • Import data into a model. 
  • Construct formulas and functions to calculate data and reference modules. 
  • Build user experience pages that include text, grids, charts. 
  • Assign role-based model access permissions.

The online version of this course will take about 25-30 hours to complete.

Start the Course!  

We also offer virtual instructor-led workshops that takes place over 4 days. 

You can sign up to take a workshop here.

Comments

• Thanks for launching an awesome course and e-learning program. It is a great help and fast-tracks building an Anaplan skillset. 

• Hi @ChrisMullen,

I might missed something but when I wanted to tackle task: "Publish REV02 Volume Inputs Module to Dashboard" I had no view created.

Have I missed something or there is no coverage in Training materials regarding same?

Edit: Is that intended ;)?

Thanks from top for your answer,

Kind regards,

Arek

• @TimeToBedArek    There is no need to modify this module in a view before you publish.  If you have further questions, please post them in the Academy Forums.    That way others can see it if they have a similar issue.  

Thanks,

Chris 

• Hi

@ChrisMullen Is there a version of the completed model available to double check my work as I go along? Having just got very stuck with the SYS08 module uploading and found the solutions (eventually) in community I am now not sure if what I have managed to upload is correct or not and don't want to get stuck further down the line if it is still wrong. 

• @Scorina     You do have an example model that you could download in the beginning of the course.  It is in Part 1 under Example Model Exploration.  This is the model you will be building out so you can check against it.   Just click the highlighted link and it will download a model into the selected workspace.  

ChrisMullen_1-1577975358629.png

• Thank you @ChrisMullen . I had already downloaded it, but failed to identify the name I gave the example model (the perils of trying to do training over a vast number of weeks) and didn't recognize it when I opened it as a possible as the contents section is more complete. I'm blaming the Christmas break.

• @ChrisMullen In the Level 1 Model Writing course, the sales department is shown to have a commission % in the Employees.csv file.  In the employee expense drivers .csv, this commission is not mentioned again; instead there is a bonus% - for Sales as well as other departments.  When calculating the total employee expenses, only bonus amounts are requested, never commissions.  Is there an explanation for this, as I believe it is affecting my answers in the certification test?

• @DConner   The commissions column in that file is not related to the exam.  It is given to show how to ignore a line item in an import or, if you do not ignore it, the message you receive when data in a file is not mapped.     When calculating your bonus in the exam, make sure you are using the updated assumption module and providing the correct mappings.  Another common mistake I see with the bonus line item is not properly multiplying the salary.    Hope this helps and good luck!  

•  

John Smith.PNG

@ChrisMullen : Is this a typo in Part 4 (On numbered lists video). I don't see two items with the same name :-).

• Good morning

@ChrisMullen I can't download the model as described in your message.

The link leads to my Anaplan homepage, not to the Anaplan Hub

Philippe_0-1585560845648.png

thank you and take care

Philippe

• @Philippe         We are aware of the issue and we are working on fixing it now.  Please open a ticket by emailing Academy@anaplan.com and they will be able to let you know when the problem is resolved.  

• @ChrisMullen thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Frankly speaking, I had already done it before posting this message 😉 as I discover little by little the community environment.

• @Scorina @ChrisMullen 

Hi, I also came across errors while uploading data to SYS08 Employee Details while going through the Level 1 training program. After spending lot of time revisiting my list and module setup here are my learnings ...which I think maybe improved/corrected in the training course content

1. Date format in the Employees.csv file is not correctly setup - Start date, Leave date fails to import. I used left, right, mid text formula for each mm/dd/yyyy segments and then updated the CSV file

Question comes to my mind - is it the only way or there is any setting in excel or Anaplan model builder where we can change this

2. Another issue was the employee 'Code', when I opened the file on my laptop it removed all the leading 0's from the Code column and my import process kept on failing to map the employee field 

Same question if there is any MS Excel setting that can retain the leading zeros in the upload file after we download it from course content.

Eventually its a great leaning for me on debugging such errors but maynot be needed at this stage of learning 🙂

Regards,

Ajit

• Hello All,

I just started my Anaplan Level 1  certification study . I did Lesson 1 in that but I want to listen the lesson again and I am not able to. It says you have completed this lesson. Please let me know how can I listen the lesson again as I have few doubts.

Thanks,

Ankita

• @ankitaga2000   You should be able to restart all lessons and review them at any point.  If you are having technical issues email Academy@anaplan.com and provide a screen shot of the error, they will be able to help you.

• Thank you Chris

• I am unable to download an example model using the below  

GKeegan_0-1611990356306.png

.....and I do not seem to have this option as given in an earlier answer 

GKeegan_1-1611990441804.png

please help

thank you!

• The page keeps looping when I try to launch the course from 'Level 1 Model Building - Introduction' page. 

When I click on 'Enter' button on that page, it refreshes that page with a message stating as below (and popping up another page):

Review mode 

>

Your content is playing in another window.

Do not close this page until the content is finished playing.

It stays that way for a long time.

The popped up page  is titled 'Return to Learning Center' with a button 'Learning Center'.

Can you please help?

I use Chrome browser on Mac book pro.

Chrome version: Version 89.0.4389.72 (Official Build) (x86_64)

• @ChrisMullen I am an end-user interested in learning how to model in Anaplan and complete Level 1 certification. I see the requirement for an admin role. If my employer won't switch to admin role, does it mean that I won't be able to complete the modeling exercises?

• @cpaganel    Workspace admin rights are necessary in order to complete the Level 1 Model Building Training.  We do have a program for users to gain access to a 90 day trial workspace, that you will have admin rights in. You can apply through the link below.  

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Anaplan-Access-Beta/ct-p/ATBReg

• Hey Guys,

Can anyone please help me on finding the due dates. So far I have completed up-to lesson 6 for the first week. 

• @dhruvi1909 

Hi there, 

The program schedule is located in our community group and listed under announcements. I hope that helps. 

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Certified-Model-Builder-Program-Requirements-nbsp/ta-p/103491

• Thanks for organising this extremely informative course.

Amazing content :)!

• Hi,

Can you help me in getting model builder access .

Regards,

Kiran.

• Thanks for organising this extremely informative course.

• The screenshots are great and all but with the classes having this wild non-linear path to the learning materials, it's still hard to find the downloadable items for the model builder. Is it possible to send a link or a breadcrumb trail from a starting point?

• Will I be receiving a certificate for completing this level1 model building course?

• It's wonderful.