Community Manager

We’re excited to announce our latest product enhancements available as of December 9, 2017. Our new enhancements enable Anaplan customers to create a better end user experience using:

New Product Enhancements

Dashboards & Visualization

List Filter

Now, users can obtain the most relevant information and data with the new, user friendly list filtering. List filters allow for increased filtering options by providing an easier, cleaner way to select and apply filters. Users can now apply these filters column by column on list formatted items, in a more familiar way, to display specific results and data.

ListFilter0.png 

ListFilter1.pngList filters cascade down as more filters are applied.

See our advanced list filtering in action here: 

Resizing buttons on a dashboard

Sometimes, it’s the simple things in life that are the most exciting to us. In this case, it’s having the option to declutter and organize your dashboards with resizable buttons.

This new feature allows users to simply set the “Auto” sizing option, or apply a custom width to new and existing dashboard buttons using specific pixel values.

Button0.png Button1.png

Gone are the days of unaligned buttons and dashboard elements. Learn how to apply sizes to dashboard buttons here:

Learn more about the resizing dashboard buttons in the Resize and Style Button Anapedia article.

Style buttons

Change the look of buttons on your dashboard with Style options. Available in the Style section of the properties panel, buttons can be changed to be displayed as one of three options:

• Primary
  • Link

StyleButtons.png

See how to change your button styles here:

Learn more about the button styles in the Resize and Style Button Anapedia article. 

Dashboard toolbar

Navigating around dashboards just became easier with the new dashboard toolbar. Whether you’re an administrator or an end user, you can now open the dashboard toolbar to have quick access to necessary buttons and functionality, rather than selecting a menu and choosing an option.

Available in both run-time and design modes, the dashboard toolbar creates a better separation of roles between viewing a dashboard and building a dashboard. With just a quick click of the tab where the dashboard is displayed, the dashboard toolbar will appear.

dashboardtoolbar0.pngRun-time mode.

dashboardtoolbar1.pngDesign mode.

Also, Workspace Administrators can now preview their dashboard designs with the Design/Preview button, which allows for quick edits without frequent publication.

DesignPreview0.png 

If multiple administrators are working on the same dashboard, and changes are saved, a new message will be displayed to all other administrators and users that states a new version of the dashboard is available.

DashToolbar3.png

Take a look at this new feature and some of the common buttons for admins, model builders, and end users in the two videos here:

Learn more about the dashboard toolbar and its functionality for administrators and end users in the Dashboard Toolbar Anapedia article.

Waterfall charts and dynamic chart selection

Waterfall charts will now include dynamic data selection to reflect your latest data. If a chart is created by selecting row or column headers, new items will then automatically be displayed in the chart when new data items are added to a source module. However, if only a range of cells are selected to display a waterfall chart, then the newly-added items will not be displayed.

Waterfall1.png

Waterfall2.png

Learn more about this change in behavior and why you should republish your waterfall charts in the Waterfall Charts Anapedia article.

Disable Open Source Module for published line items

Hide complexity from end users by disabling the open source module option for published line items with the new Open Source Module enable/disable checkbox.

MenuOptions0.png

Learn how to make this quick change here:

Learn more about the disable Open Source Module for published line items option in the Dashboard Designer Anapedia article.

Show All option disabled for dropdown lists configured with Selective Access

The Show All option from within filtered pick lists can now be removed by unchecking Allow access to unfiltered items. This prevents end users from overriding your selective access or dependent dropdowns with the Show All option.

For existing setups, this checkbox will be checked by default to avoid migration issues. However, for new line items, this option will always be unchecked.

ShowAll0.png

ShowAll0.png

Learn more about the Allow access to unfiltered items checkbox in the Dropdown Picklists Anapedia article. 

Users List

As an organization grows, the end users will inevitably change with it. To help streamline end user management, we have created a general Users list that is configured and kept up-to-date in the Users tab.

The Users list (displayed as Users) is available across all models within a workspace. It dynamically reports the current users, eliminates the need for a locally created list of users in each model, and simplifies maintenance of user details across a workspace.

While you will not see the Users list under General lists in the Settings tab, you will see it as an option every time you create a module or utilize the “Applies to” section.

UsersList0.png 

Learn how to filter with User lists here:

For more information, visit the General Lists Anapedia article to learn more about how to manage users and their roles.

Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)

Compare Revisions in the Same Model

Using the new Compare button, model builders and workspace administrators may now track structural changes that are made between revisions within the same development model. Upon a quick comparison, changes can be viewed instantly on the platform, or downloaded as a detailed Comparison Report that outlines the specific changes made between revisions.

Compare0.png

Learn more about how to work with revision tags in the Working with Revision Tags Anapedia article.

Performance Improvements to Deployed Model

Model changes are now saved less frequently in deployed mode, which enables end users to work for longer periods without seeing the "Saving" notification.

Modeling

Save History Exports

Administrators can now save history exports as an Action for later use using the new Save Options checkbox. Just like other Actions, the "Export from Model History" Actions can be re-run by selecting the Save Options checkbox prior to showing the history. Furthermore, history exports can even be published to dashboards using Processes for quick and easy reuse.

While the "Export from Model History" Action cannot be edited, you can override it by saving another model history export with the same name.

SaveOptions0.png

SaveOptions1.png

Learn more about Saving History Exports in the History and Export from Anaplan Anapedia articles.

Property Imports in History

Previously, list properties have been imported as individual rows in History, which could potentially create thousands of entries (rows) when multiple properties were changed. Now, property changes are consolidated into two new entries, eliminating the excessive History entries:

• An Import row
  • A Bulk data change row

This new condensed approach helps to improve the speed and performance of list imports, as well as improve the tracking and reviewing of your import history.

mark-example-list-imports.png

Learn more about Property Imports in History in the History Anapedia article. 

Private and Default Import and Export Files

Administrators can further customize file imports and exports to ensure that the right users have access to the right files. Workspace Administrators can now choose the desired privacy level for their import from 3 different options:

• Myself (keep private)
  • Administrators only
  • Everyone

Profile0.png

This new setting allows Workspace Administrators to control whether a file import or export uses a personal file, which is set by selecting Myself (keep private) from the dropdown, or a default file. In summary:

• A personal file can only be accessed by the user who originally uploaded the source file or ran the export. Please note, these personal files are removed from models if they're not accessed at least once every 48 hours.
  • If a user's personal file no longer exists for a particular file import data source (IDS) or Export Action, the default file (if one is set) is used instead. Default files have no expiration date.

FileOptions0.png

Administrator's Note: At the time of this release, all existing files will be set to default files.

Note: There will be no change in behavior for end users. This update only impacts Workspace Administrators and API users.

Learn more about privacy options when importing and exporting here:

Learn how to set up your imports and exports in the Overview of Private and Default Files Anapedia article.

Enhanced Launchpad

The Anaplan Launchpad is getting a new look. The enhanced Launchpad offers new and updated menus, including:

1. An Application menu, which includes direct access to applications that end-users have access to, and the Anaplan App Hub
  2. An updated Help menu, with multiple forms of platform support, including the new "Contact support" option
  3. A re-designed User menu 

image2017-11-20_15-23-46.png

Review some of the key items of the Enhanced Launchpad experience here:

Learn more about the specifics of the Enhanced Launchpad in the Work with Models Anapedia article.

Performance Improvements

In this release, you'll notice improved performance in the following areas.

• Filtering a module or a dashboard grid by multiple line items and time period values.
  • Importing large lists with many corresponding list properties. These imports now appear differently in the change history of a model.

Issues Resolved

The following issues are resolved in this release:

ID  Description

An error is displayed when you:

1. Create a numbered list marked as production data (nl1).
  2. Set the Parent Hierarchy of nl1 to a standard production list.
  3. Add a text-formatted Display Name property to nl1.
  4. Add a revision tag.
  5. Try to sync to a compatible target model.

If a module has a list subset as a dimension and a child line item with a line item formula, an error occurs when you:

1. Change the dimensions of the module.
  2. Enter a different line item formula.
  3. Add a revision tag.
  4. Try to sync to a compatible target model.

If a model contains a line item subset that refers to a module (M1), an error occurs when you:

1. Add a new item to the line item subset.
  2. Remove the line item subset from the dimensions (Applies To) of M1.
  3. Add a revision tag.
Searching the current view using a large search query locks the model for a long period of time.
If several models are open at once and you rename a large model in Model Management, Anaplan sometimes becomes unresponsive. This requires Anaplan Support to perform a core restart.
Filtering a module by multiple line items and time period values can take a few minutes to process. This affects performance for other users in the same model. These types of filters are now applied more efficiently.
An error is displayed if you view cell history for line items imported from another module.
72845 If a module has a line item (Li1) formatted as a list (L1) that includes a LOOKUP formula; and a line item (Li2) with a dimensionality (Applies To) of list (L2), an error is displayed when you:
  1. Remove the LOOKUP formula from Li1.
  2. Change the format of Li1 to a subset of L2.
  3. Change the dimensionality (Applies To) to a subset of L2.
  4. Add the LOOKUP formula to Li2
  5. Add a revision tag.
  6. Try to sync to a compatible target model.

If a module has a line item referenced by a LOOKUP formula, an error is displayed if you:

1. Change the dimensionality (Applies To) of the line item.
  2. Change the LOOKUP formula.
  3. Add a revision tag.
If a module has a line item formula that references a list, an error is displayed when you:
  1. Delete the line item.
  2. Mark the list as a production list.
  3. Add a revision tag.
Creating a model from a revision tag fails in very large models that take over 5 minutes to open.
24 Comments
Occasional Contributor

I like the new features!

I tried using the new users list to do some filters. However, I didn't get the full list of users and because of this I could only set the filter to the workspace admin user, not Current page. 

Is there a setting I missed somewhere?

Certified Master Anaplanner

Hi David -

the user list has selective access applied so you'll only ever see your username in the user list, even as a workspace admin.

-Mark

New Contributor

Hi all, it seems to go in the right direction. However filtering by user is still implying duplicating (sometimes large) data sets only for reading purposes. Additionally this creates writing issues since each users cannot directly modify data that are not using the users dimension (there is only one forecast for one product and one month, not one forecast per user). In my ideal world (understand like in any other systems), i would like users to use filter data fields on top of the dahsboard which then directly filter the below module and enable them to read or write within as if they have been using the standard filtering features. When they come back to the page later, I would like them to see again the filters they have parametered even if they are not administrators. I still don't understand why this is not possible today using a data volume efficient manner (I have this issue since 2015) unless using complex and unefficient workarounds.

Contributor

Hi,

With the edits made to dashboards, is there any way to save dashboards when not in dashboard designer? Also, when you go into dashboard designer, should the edits made before opening dashboard designer be removed? As of right now, any changes made before dashboard designer is opened is lost.

New Contributor

I'll echo what Lauren mentioned above.  I modified a dashboard, only to find that the only way to save my changes was to go into edit mode (lose all my changes) and then make my changes again.

I also noticed that importing a date field from a module into a list property doesn't appear to work anymore.  I can provide a specific example if it would help, but here's the abstract steps to recreate the issue:

1. Create a list with a date-formatted property.

2. Create an import action which pulls data into the list from a module within the same model.

3. Map the date field in your list to a date field in the module.

4. Run the import

You'll notice that text fields work just fine, but for some reason Anaplan no longer imports the date field (leaves it blank).  I tried switching the source module to a text field and parsing the date using custom date mapping in the import action with no luck.  We had a couple of these sorts of actions that had been working fine prior to this weekend, and now they don't work.

UPDATE - Based on the known issue update above regarding imports where the first property is a formula, I re-arranged the order of the properties in my list so that the field I'm importing into is first in the list.  This appears to have resolved the issue.

Any known issues importing into lists besides the one mentioned by Brian? Having difficulty importing from CSV.

Community Manager

Hello Anaplanners,

Please see the December 11 Release Update in the blog above for details regarding import issues.

If you are experiencing this or any other issue, please send an email to support@anaplan.com.

From doing a single test in our model, it looks like I do encounter the list load error mentioned above. But when I rearrange the properties in the list (so that the first property is not a formula) it works.

Community Manager

A workaround has been identified for the import issues detailed in this blog. Please see the Workaround section for more details. 

Occasional Contributor

Hi Mark,

I understand that the User list has selective access, but this limits the possibility to use the list as shown in the instruction video in the post above. 

In the video, the filter option for User is set to -- Current Page -- but when I do it in my model I don't have this option available. I only have my own user. The effect is that the filter is set to my user only and other users' selection will not have any effect on their dashboards.

--David

Skärmavbild 2017-12-11 kl. 22.46.38.pngSkärmavbild 2017-12-11 kl. 22.47.28.png

Contributor

I hope the fix is ready soon, This created a lot of extra list properties in many of our lists that had all formulas in the properties across our 6 models.

Also regarding the User list as a dimension "filter" our user list is over 400, adding that as a dimension to even a few of the modules that make sense to use it, (like changing currencies on sales compensation or Income statements, or time periods for analysis), increases the module size by so much that it blows up the size of the model making it somewhat useless as a feature. It would seem like some type of locally or local browser saved user preferences would be more efficient than adding the overhead of the entire user list to a module.   

I otherwise am glad to see the other enhancements, hopefully, the usability can be refined further in the near future. 

Did you include users in the both the top level "applies to" of the module where you are applying your filter and as a dimension in the line item where the filter logic is? We have been using a workaround "user list" in our model for several months now and I'd always run into issues if I forgot to set that top-level applies to. I can see the same behavior with this new "users" list.

To save on space, you can set the applies to on all the line items so that it excludes the user list. Then adding it as a dimension doesn't significantly contribute to the space. 

Occasional Contributor

Ah, thanks bdeaton that was it!

Frequent Contributor

@wlederer thank you so much for writing us and we appreciate how frustrating this could be as you wait for a fix. However, transparency is our goal, so I hope you see that we are working hard on delivering workarounds with efficency, and publically making them available as we get them while we are hard at work solving these questions.  We will make sure your feature feedback makes it to our product team. Seeing how customers really use our features is what makes us better. Thanks again and keep an eye for updates right here on the what's new blog. 

Community Boss

In terms of the Users List, as with other recent feature releases, this is a "first step" towards the ultimate goal of a true user context.  However, it is still a useful substitute for the "fake" user list as it is automatic and requires no maintenance

If you are currently using a user list (as BDeaton) describes, I would advocate swapping this list for the new user list.  The behaviour will be as now and the workaround described, with the applies to, works for read only modules.  It also prepares you for future developments

The goal is to have this list applied to modules for data entry and this is currently on the roadmap.  This will allow the filter line item to be the only line item in the module dimensions by the user list this allowing data entry and no subsidiary views.

One thing to re-emphasise is that the user list excludes any user set to "No Access".  If you do use the user list as a dimension, enter data against it, and then subsequently set the access to No Access, the data will be removed as the user will no longer be included in the list

David

Contributor

Hi Team,

The new features are very useful. However, I have seen a behaviour change in Revision Tag. I am able to create a revision tag. But the description field is uneditable. 

Kindly let me know is this related to the latest release in Anaplan. 

*Spoiler Alert*

As @DavidSmith eludes too - Now that we have the user list, we will be looking to take this one step further and change some of the filter behaviours so it will automatically select the current user when you filter a module by a line item that has the user list included. It will make filtering much easier, use less workspace in a lot of cases, and big benefit is allowing users to input data into the module that is filtered because you don't need to have the "Users" in the "Applies To" for the module.

Hopefully, that sentence makes sense! In-case you aren't following, the key message you should take away is that it will be a super cool change that will open up a tonne of possibilities.

Look out for more news on "User Filters" coming soon.

Cheers,

Simon - Anaplan Product Team

Occasional Contributor

I love the new dashboard layout options, particularly being able to resize buttons. However the new dashboard toolbar confuses me lot as the layout is all over the place: some options are on the left (I assume user options), other options on the right (admin options). Particularly the ones on the right are confusing and often overlooked. For instance, when going into dahboard editing mode, I first need to reveal the tool bar in the top left corner of my working area, just to find "Edit" at the far right (or I just often overlook it and all my changes aren't saved). If all options could just align to the left (maybe in two rows) like in nearly every other program, this could help against this confusion.

Frequent Contributor

@Owen - Thank you very much for your feedback. We're glad to hear that you're pleased with the new dashboard layout options! I've gone ahead and submitted a request for enhancement on your behalf (and cc'ed you for visibility and further clarification as needed). In the future, please feel free to submit an email to support@anaplan.com directly with other feature requests.

Again, we greatly value your input. It's feedback from customers like you that helps us continue to deliver a platform that best suits you and your needs. If you're interested, we have also launched a research program where we regularly ask for feedback on the Anaplan user experience. You can find out more and sign up on our User Research Program Community page. 

New Contributor

Hi

I like the new features added especially in the Dashboard and Visualization. Is there also a way we can select different colors from the palette while choosing to do conditional formatting in the tables? (e.g. in 2 or 3-color scales, choosing colors from the palette rather than the default ones?) 

Thanks

Ruhi

Frequent Contributor

Hi @RuhiGarg thanks for the feedback and the question! In regards to your question, while there is a variety of new colors in our dashboard palette, conditional formatting with color scales is something that we appreciate and have it on our list of enhancements currently. In the coming months, we will be working on a new process for requesting enhancements, so you can have more visibility to what we will Be working on. In the mean time, please submit any suggestions or other enhancements to us at support@anaplan.com. Thanks for partnering with us and we will continue to keep you in the loop via this page when these features come out. 

Is the enhanced launchpad not on for all users? I'm still seeing the old version.

Frequent Contributor

Hi @bdeaton - Thank you for reaching out and for your interest in the enhanced launchpad feature. This feature is currently being rolled out in phases, and you can find out more in the Working with Models Anapedia article. I've also sent an email and cc'ed your Business Partner so you can get more specific information on when you can expect to have the enhanced launchpad enabled on your system.

New Contributor

@natalie_poull: Great, thanks for your response! I'll suggest any enhancements that come to my mind at support@anaplan.com. 

Regards,

Ruhi