Ask a QuestionGet answers to platform specific questions from Anaplanners everywhere.
Suggest an IdeaShare ideas for platform improvements, training, the Community, and more.
Get Training HelpComplete your training with support from the experts.
Contribute ContentWorkshop content, submit for approval, and contribute best practices to the Community.
Connect with CommunityShare feedback, ask questions, and get support from the Community.
How to prepare your data
There are many ways to get data in and out of Anaplan; some more involved than others. In our experience, starting simple is the best approach.
Here are some guidelines to keep in mind as you evaluate the steps you will take to manage and prepare the data for the integration process:
- Assign overall accountability of the data work stream to a member of your team; the data work stream owner should be accountable throughout the implementation.
- Start small (if you have to) and focus on data quality.
- Automate later. It is best to begin with manual uploads. Manual data uploads will not stop the project, but poor quality data can.
- Add data tasks as user stories in the Agile Implementation – The Anaplan Way app.
- Pay as much attention to data as you would building the model.
- If you uncover data issues, document them clearly and socialize them broadly. It is important that the entire project team, including executive sponsor, understands the issues with upstream data. It is much better for people to have a clear understanding of the precise and specific data issues than to say "the data is terrible, so the model won't work."
- Plan for data integrations early in your Anaplan implementation journey. This will give you time to determine source systems for data, plan for data staging, data transformation and data quality checks. You can also create sample integrations, test them and resolve data integration issues while you still have sufficient time during Anaplan implementation.
Which integration method should I use?
Anaplan data integration supports typical operations such as importing, exporting, deleting obsolete data, and running a process that combines one or more imports, exports, or delete actions.
All integration methods are based on our Rest API, which is how the model builder will develop in the model. In order to import or export data in Anaplan, you will need to build an action then automate the use of those actions.
There are different levels of data integration. Below is a summary describing the three levels of data integration:
Generally, the level of data integration will depend on the type of user running the integration
How do I find out more?
Start by taking the Data Integration Basics course on the Learning Center.